Anybody here successfully harvest Samuel Smith yeast???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalmeida

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying some Samuel Smiths beer and try to harvest some of the remaining yeast. However, I am not sure if it can be done with this beer? Also, I am not sure if they filter out the yeast then use a different yeast for bottle conditioning? Any input would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Very few breweries filter out yeast and repitch. It isn't completely a myth, but it is worried about way more than it actually happens. If the beer is bottle carbed you should have no issue growing yeast from it. Start your first step very small (30-50ml) and step up from there to minimize stress on the culture. Sanitize more than you think can possible be necessary, and flame glass openings before pouring.

Very few breweries filter out yeast and repitch. It isn't completely a myth, but it is worried about way more than it actually happens. If the beer is bottle carbed you should have no issue growing yeast from it. Start your first step very small (30-50ml) and step up from there to minimize stress on the culture. Sanitize more than you think can possible be necessary, and flame glass openings before pouring.

I should have chose my words carefully. Not filtered, but removed via centrifugal machine. At least that is what full sail does.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back