Anybody else scared to fly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoenixCoyote

Reaction score
Hey Everybody,
I have to fly on tuesday for a 6 hour flight. Leaving Hawaii and going back to Phoenix to live. I will welcome the cheaper prices, especially on shipping from suppliers online!

I have always been scared of flying for some reason, but i am doing better. At least now i do not run up and down screaming anymore! "Sir, your scaring the customers". As much as i dislike flying, i seem to fly most of the time. Been a nomad for years, stay in one spot for 6 months to a year, then move. I always like to go and try different places. But i think it is time to stay in one place. Been to Alaska 4 times now, and now to Hawaii. Alaska is cool, but high cost to live also. Guess i need a city again and not rural wilderness.

I have never tried taking a pill before flying, have any of you? If so, what kind? Normally, i get to the airport 2 hours early, or more, and spend $50 in the bar! Which does not buy much. And you can't drink too much, or they won't let you on the plane.

Let me hear your stories, or advice etc. Wish me luck with this flight! The wings are getting older as i type this!

No, never been afraid to fly before the Gestapo got stationed in the airports...:mad:

I know what you mean. They always pick out certain people to really search. I am ALWAYS that person! I was told it is because i fly alot, and fly by myself. Last time, i did everything but strip down to my underwear. The flight was actually held up because of waiting for me.

Guess i should not try to hide a plastic bottle of whiskey in my carry on bag huh? I thought about it though. If it goes through the x ray machine ok, then the bag will not be searched. How much trouble will i be in, if i get caught with it? I could always play stupid and say i didn't know.

my aunt and best friend are terrified to fly. the former rarely flies, and knocks herself out with an Ambien when she does. the latter just orders a jack straight up before he is even sitting down and keeps slamming them until we are at our destination.

Just tell yourself that you have a statistically greater chance of dying in your shower or from a lightening strike than on an airplane. don't sleep much the night before and drink some beer before you get on the plane (if you are a quiet drunk they let you on with no problems) if you get on really tired you can probably just sleep through it.

I have 3000+ hours flying planes that are older than most of the crews flying them, once ferried a plane from Barbers point to Jacksonville (for repair) with cracked wing spars, flew hundreds of hours of combat in planes that were 30+ years old... you'll be fine

Never had a problem on an airplane, but my one ride on a helicopter freaked me out. Just doesn't feel stable. My first time flying was in an open-cockpit bi-plane. That was cool. After that, bigger planes were easy.

Bring something to keep occupied. A good book, some puzzles, maybe a laptop with a DVD to watch.

If the overhead unit (PSU) has an eyeball vent (gasper) get familiar with it...sometimes fresh air blowing on your face helps.

Fasten your seatbelt...99.999% of anything that can hurt you...can only happen when you're not wearing your seatbelt.

If you can get comfortable...sleep. It helps the flight go by faster.

Feel comforted by the fact that these aircraft are designed to take flight conditions that would make the pilots cry for their mamas... And the pilots will do everthing in their power to avoid bad air...because they don't like it either...and they don't want you to have a bad experience.

Might try a CD player with some comforting mood music.

Alcohol at the bar...really isn't the best idea. It's more likely to cause you to become ill. If you drink to the point that you feel a little happy at ground level...rest assured when the cabin altitude climbs to 8000'...and the air that you're breathing becomes thinner...the effects of alcohol will become somewhat greater. Save the $50 for homebrew supplies. It's a good idea to bring a bottle of water with you...but you'll unfortunately have to buy that on the other side of security --- before you board the aircraft. It's important to stay hydrated. The air in most airliners is very dry.

Hope something in there helps out...

BTW...I'm an airline Captain...and have over 14,000 safe flying hours.

I used to fly alot between Kansas city and Florida when I was in seminary, back and forth maybe twice a month or at least once a month, mostly the red eye, and often through hellacious turbulence enterring the tropics.

I was only ever uncomfortable for about 30 seconds on each flight, there was some moment shortly after takeoff (maybe when the wheels went up, I never could tell what triggured it) where my fight of flight would kick in in a bout of sheer unmitigated terror, where my brain was convinced that if we humans were meant to defy the laws of gravity, we would have been born with wings, and no stomachs.

But that would always pass, and everything would be fine....

You really just have to distract yourself, get a good book, tunes or load up on basic brewing podcasts on your i-pod, maybe imagine making flippy flop with that hot stewardess in the bathroom, or if you are lucky and good looking enough ACTUALLY making flippy flop with that hot sterwardess in the bathroom...

anything to get your mind off the fact that you are flying, and are afraid of flying...and anytime you feel the effects of fear/panic....breath through it, distract yourself (looking at that cute stewardess's legs often helps) and remind yourself that you will be okay.

Another thing to do, believe it or not, is to find someone more freaked out then you, and concentrate on trying to help them out.....I have found that if you help someone else out, you actually can put your own **** aside for awhile....

Here's the link to basic brewing...I noticed on the other thread you couldn't get any brewing books, but if you load up on several hours of podcasts about beer, that will work almost as well...

Basic Brewing : Home Brewing Beer Podcast and DVD - Welcome

:mug:

(And no I never made flippy floppy with the stewardess in the bathroom, I was flying back and forth to see my then fiance...though there was this one stunning, older African American Stewardess that would often "dead head" home on one of the airlines I would take. And since I am ungodly tall I would usually volunteer whenever offered to sit by the door, in that one row across from the stewardess's fold down seat, with the HUGE amount of legroom. And the dead header would usually sit next to me, apparently because she wanted to chat with whichever flight attendant was working and would take that seat..But since the attendat only spent liftoff and landing strapped in, she would always end up talking to me...I think if I had suggested the flippy floppy she would have said yes...maybe considering how the engagement turned out....I should have. :D)

I love to fly. My wife on the other hand not so much. I could tell you about flying on p-3's in the Navy but I'll wait until your back on land for that. I have been through some crap though and have very rarely been bothered on a commercial flight. If it REALLY bothers you have one maybe two drinks at the airport. I have found that the worst times for my wife are takeoff and landings just bring a deck of cards or a book to focus on and you should be fine.

Storm

PS
no dramamine

And how many unsafe hours???? ;)

Great advice (you would know) especially about the booze....that really can cause more harm than good....especially if it's a long night flight and you want to try to get a nap to pass the time. Having a "sugar spike" wake you up all jangly will not make the flight any more comfortable.

So Chuggs about 6 years ago did you ever make the run between MCI (Kansas City) and PBI (Palm Beach)? I was practically a regular....I flew probably every airline that made the run back and forth on that route, and probably know every airport layover on that route, Atlanta, Dallas....

Just tell yourself that you have a statistically greater chance of dying in your shower or from a lightening strike than on an airplane. don't sleep much the night before and drink some beer before you get on the plane (if you are a quiet drunk they let you on with no problems) if you get on really tired you can probably just sleep through it.

I have 3000+ hours flying planes that are older than most of the crews flying them, once ferried a plane from Barbers point to Jacksonville (for repair) with cracked wing spars, flew hundreds of hours of combat in planes that were 30+ years old... you'll be fine

Thanks budho,
What service were you in? I was in the US Army. I actually was flying in Huey's a lot back then, and was never scared, until one day! My other gunner and i were in the back, when the Huey would make a hard left, he would stretch his arms and feet out towards the open door. I did the same too, i was sitting on the other side. As soon as i did that, i realized i never buckled in! I slid almost right out the door! But the other guy caught me and we both held on until i could make it back to my seat. That was an experience i will never forget! Thank You Major Tom! I have never slept on a plane before and i am awakw 2 days before a flight too.Thanks for your reply, and bringing back memories.

Bring something to keep occupied. A good book, some puzzles, maybe a laptop with a DVD to watch.

If the overhead unit (PSU) has an eyeball vent (gasper) get familiar with it...sometimes fresh air blowing on your face helps.

Fasten your seatbelt...99.999% of anything that can hurt you...can only happen when you're not wearing your seatbelt.

If you can get comfortable...sleep. It helps the flight go by faster.

Feel comforted by the fact that these aircraft are designed to take flight conditions that would make the pilots cry for their mamas... And the pilots will do everthing in their power to avoid bad air...because they don't like it either...and they don't want you to have a bad experience.

Might try a CD player with some comforting mood music.

Alcohol at the bar...really isn't the best idea. It's more likely to cause you to become ill. If you drink to the point that you feel a little happy at ground level...rest assured when the cabin altitude climbs to 8000'...and the air that you're breathing becomes thinner...the effects of alcohol will become somewhat greater. Save the $50 for homebrew supplies. It's a good idea to bring a bottle of water with you...but you'll unfortunately have to buy that on the other side of security --- before you board the aircraft. It's important to stay hydrated. The air in most airliners is very dry.

Hope something in there helps out...

Thank You Captain! Can you fly my plane? Please? If so, tell them i get all my drinks free! Or just put me in first class lol!

I tried to buy a couple homebrew books today, but they didn;t have any. I do not have a laptop, or a CD player. I am planning to buy the headset just to have something to listen to. And i do use the overhead fan on me at full blast. As in my other reply, i have never , ever slept on a plane before. So that is out.

The worst flight i had was from Alaska to here. It was really rough! A lot of people threw up! I actually had scars on me from the seatbelt. I thought for sure we were going down. The turbulence was so bad, like a roller coaster. I was trying to fill out the sheet for customs, and could not even write on it. I was scared, and others. I just hope i make it back to the mainland now lol.

Thanks for your reply and advice. Any way you can tell them on my flight for free drinks or first class???? Thanks!

I used to fly alot between Kansas city and Florida when I was in seminary, back and forth maybe twice a month or at least once a month, mostly the red eye, and often through hellacious turbulence enterring the tropics.

I was only ever uncomfortable for about 30 seconds on each flight, there was some moment shortly after takeoff (maybe when the wheels went up, I never could tell what triggured it) where my fight of flight would kick in in a bout of sheer unmitigated terror, where my brain was convinced that if we humans were meant to defy the laws of gravity, we would have been born with wings, and no stomachs.

But that would always pass, and everything would be fine....

You really just have to distract yourself, get a good book, tunes or load up on basic brewing podcasts on your i-pod, maybe imagine making flippy flop with that hot stewardess in the bathroom, or if you are lucky and good looking enough ACTUALLY making flippy flop with that hot sterwardess in the bathroom...

anything to get your mind off the fact that you are flying, and are afraid of flying...and anytime you feel the effects of fear/panic....breath through it, distract yourself (looking at that cute stewardess's legs often helps) and remind yourself that you will be okay.

Another thing to do, believe it or not, is to find someone more freaked out then you, and concentrate on trying to help them out.....I have found that if you help someone else out, you actually can put your own **** aside for awhile....

Here's the link to basic brewing...I noticed on the other thread you couldn't get any brewing books, but if you load up on several hours of podcasts about beer, that will work almost as well...

Basic Brewing : Home Brewing Beer Podcast and DVD - Welcome

(And no I never made flippy floppy with the stewardess in the bathroom, I was flying back and forth to see my then fiance...though there was this one stunning, older African American Stewardess that would often "dead head" home on one of the airlines I would take. And since I am ungodly tall I would usually volunteer whenever offered to sit by the door, in that one row across from the stewardess's fold down seat, with the HUGE amount of legroom. And the dead header would usually sit next to me, apparently because she wanted to chat with whichever flight attendant was working and would take that seat..But since the attendat only spent liftoff and landing strapped in, she would always end up talking to me...I think if I had suggested the flippy floppy she would have said yes...maybe considering how the engagement turned out....I should have. :D)

I do not have an MP3 player either, but it sounds really interesting what people have said about uploading home brew stuff to one. I will have to get one some day, then ask how to upload those. And, trying to focus on a stewardness, i am trying to relax on a plane, that would just get me more anxiety lol. Now, if she would help me by sitting in my lap to comfort me....

I do not have an MP3 player either, but it sounds really interesting what people have said about uploading home brew stuff to one. I will have to get one some day, then ask how to upload those. And, trying to focus on a stewardness, i am trying to relax on a plane, that would just get me more anxiety lol. Now, if she would help me by sitting in my lap to comfort me....

Listen if you can spend 20 bucks on a brewing book, you can spend 20 bucks on a cheap mp-3 player for your flight...seriouslly even drugstores have cheap players these days...I think I payed 10 or 15 bucks on woot.com for one, and mine has a built in fm radio. They are really dirt cheap these days check radio shack, target, meijers, walmart, walgreen's, sam' sclub, whatever you have near you in Hawaii, and they are simple to use...if you can post on homebrewtalk you can fill your mp-3 player in under 30 minutes with 6 hours worth of brewing podcasts or music, or whatever you want for your flight.

Listen if you can spend 20 bucks on a brewing book, you can spend 20 bucks on a cheap mp-3 player for your flight...seriouslly even drugstores have cheap players these days...I think I payed 10 or 15 bucks on woot.com for one, and mine has a built in fm radio. They are really dirt cheap these days check radio shack, target, meijers, walmart, walgreen's, sam' sclub, whatever you have near you in Hawaii, and they are simple to use...if you can post on homebrewtalk you can fill your mp-3 player in under 30 minutes with 6 hours worth of brewing podcasts or music, or whatever you want for your flight.

Really?? I did not know that. I will go to walmart tomorrow and check them out. But i know nothing about loading one up with music and brewing podcats. If i buy one tomorrow, i will do a post on how to upload the info. Or i will send you a PM. Thanks Revvy!

They're great. I spend an hour a day on the bus going to and from work and I've worked my way through the podcasts on Brewing Network. They're great to pass the time. I tried the Basic Brewing podcasts but they were too dry for me. I didn't want to doze off and miss my stop! :D Jamil and the guys may go off topic as much as on, but at least they're entertaining when they do.

They're great. I spend an hour a day on the bus going to and from work and I've worked my way through the podcasts on Brewing Network. They're great to pass the time. I tried the Basic Brewing podcasts but they were too dry for me. I didn't want to doze off and miss my stop! :D Jamil and the guys may go off topic as much as on, but at least they're entertaining when they do.

I've never heard of the brewing network, so i am more than interested in it, and getting them on an ipod to hear. Thanks.

Depending on your "maturity level" you may not like the shows on the brewing network, where the humor can sometime overwhelm the information.

That's why I like the basic brewing podcasts I linked to above, they tend to be more "on topic" they are 1 hour shows and they are really stay on the subject at hand.

I also like the Australian Podcast CraftBrewer Radio They actually were the first broadcast about homebrewing in the world, they actually started as a real radio show about 7-8 years ago. They are more chatty, and their shows cover many topics, and the hosts are arrogant as hell, BUT the two hosts have 60 years combined in brewing experience, so they know their stuff.

It's also funny to listen to old episodes towards the beginning of their webscats where a guy named John Palmer (that back then no one knew of) would write in asking questions about brewing...and then a few years later when everyone in the brewing community then knew of John Palmer, they realize who it was they were reading email from.

Now one thing, I don't have an I-pod, I have an Mp-3 player....I-pod is a trademarked brand name for one, and they are ALOT more than 15 bucks. :D So if you go to a store asking for an I-pod that is all they are going to show you...ask to look for their MP-3 Players if you don't want to spend a couple hundred dollars.

Mine is a SanDisk "Clip" 2GB MP3 Player with built in fm-reciever.

Sandisk_Clip_2GB_MP3_PlayerheiDetail.jpg

Like I said, it cost me under 20 dollars.

You use the cord on the left to connect between the computer's USB slot and the player, and there are many ways to download a podcast to the player, you can use software, or you can rightclick on a podcast to download it to a file on your computer and then drag the icon/file into a folder that will show up when you hook it up.

I'll try to walk you through it later if you need to....

I fear being stuck next to an obese woman with a colicky baby.

Don't like the landings much. It bothers me when they shut off the air vents.

And how many unsafe hours???? ;)

Great advice (you would know) especially about the booze....that really can cause more harm than good....especially if it's a long night flight and you want to try to get a nap to pass the time. Having a "sugar spike" wake you up all jangly will not make the flight any more comfortable.

So Chuggs about 6 years ago did you ever make the run between MCI (Kansas City) and PBI (Palm Beach)? I was practically a regular....I flew probably every airline that made the run back and forth on that route, and probably know every airport layover on that route, Atlanta, Dallas....

Maybe a few when I was starting out back in '79...but I wasn't allowed to have any passengers then :)

I haven't flown that route...I've been mostly flying South America, Europe, and the Caribbean for the past 18 years...and just recently moved to the domestic bid status...so I'm flying out of Miami...to places like Tampa, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Washington Reagan, Raleigh, Atlanta, Detroit, New York Laguardia, Los Angeles, Nashville, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Denver, Minneapolis...??? that's about all I can think or right off the top of my head...

I still get that same feeling Revvy was talking about: shortly after takeoff, when the wheels go into the plane, can't tell if it's a normal grinding/whirling sound or not. After that, I'm mostly ok with flying. Most of the accidents take place on takeoff or landing, so once you're in the air, just kick back.

***NOTE: You may not want to read the below text***

...Plus, it helps to be comfortable with the overall idea of death (which a college course in death/dying or philosophy of religion might help with). If the plane does crash after getting a decent altitude, you'll either be smashed into bits on impact or instantly blown up anyway, so it'll be a fast, relatively painless ending, and you might get to skydive for a little bit. :)

I'm not scared of flying, it's the falling part if the flying part doesn't work that gets me in knots.

Just have to push through it, I suppose.

I once heard a rumor The Pol was afraid to fly... :p

I worry a lot more about the drive to the airport. People around Austin drive *&@^ stupid on the roads that lead to the airport...

People that drive around the airport are far more a danger than flying in the plane itself.

I am not a pilot, or a crew member.
I have traveled around the world more that I would like to admit.

Don't drink alcohol,
do buy a neck pillow
NeckPillow.jpg

Listen to some thing that keeps your attention Brewing Podcasts
Buy really good ear/headphones some thing that reduces outside noise
MDR-EX71SLA-BOX.jpg

AND! Fly often ! the more you are on a plane the less stressful it becomes

I wish you the best of luck on your move

-Jason

Neck pillow is a muy good idea!!!! I had a neat "flight kit" that had an inflatable neck pillow, sleeping mask, and ear plugs....It all fit in a tiny pouch that could fit in your back pocket even.

It was great for trying to get some sleep on a red eye.

Sure...

Are you in the Tower or Approach Control?

I'll be in an AA B-737...and my real name is Charlie...

Over the last couple days PhoenixCoyote and I have exchanged a couple PM's, and I gave him a prayer that we use for fear provoking situations. If I understand correctly, his flight may be over and he might be on the ground already.

Or he's coming in after midnight tonight.

He couldn't find a reasonably priced MP-3 player in Hawaii, so instead planned on downing a 6 pack of redstripe the night before his flight, hoping to get a good night's rest.

Any wonder if he did/will do this upon arrival?

p_2530953.jpg

I'm ok with flying . . but I once sat next to a woman who was terrified. She kept latching on to my arm every time there was turbulence. She told me that she hated the turbulence because she could feel the airplane falling out of the sky every time we dropped a bit. I realized that she actually thought that when she felt that sensation, she thought the airplane was losing its grip on the air and just free falling to earth. I told her that the airplane is still flying just fine, but since air currents are going up and down and all around, the airplane moves with the currents and it feels like the plane is in trouble. It's like sailing down a winding river - with the boat just following the winding current. Once she got that into her head she was able to relax.

So I don't know if that's an issue for the OP, but if so, just keep in mind that the airplane is still flying just fine when you feel turbulence.

I fly with my boss in his Cessnas all the time (Skyhawk 172 XPII and Centurion P210). After being in the little 172 and staring into a mile-high wall of black that is a thunderstorm cell, and getting bounced around like a kite in a wind tunnel for 2 hours straight, getting on a big airliner is like stepping into a flying hotel.

Latest posts

Back