Anybody else from Missouri?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftlstrings

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm an all grain, partial, and full extract (depending on the stuff I have and the amount of time I have to spend...) beer (and beginning wine) brewer / Grad student in north missouri.

I have been into traditional beer brewing for about 5 years (though I haven't been brewing a beer a week for that entire time...). I have in the last year managed to get myself interested in older (read: non-hops) styled beers.

I am a much more avid watcher than poster, but I know that there are many areas here where I will be putting in advice as well as asking lots of questions.

Thanks for the site,
~Mike~

foppa78 said:
Hi Mike,
Welcome to the board. I too am from Missouri. I am in Lees Summit.

Dude, I lived across the express way from you for 2 years, at Unity Village.

Is Neighbor's Cafe still open? How about Strother's? They had the best beer selection around when I was there.

Yeah Neighbors is still open downtown and is still great. You are making me crave a cinnamon roll. Strothers closed a few years back and is now another bar called the peanut. They have done a lot of work in down town lees summit. You may not recognize it if you made it back.

foppa78 said:
Yeah Neighbors is still open downtown and is still great. You are making me crave a cinnamon roll. Strothers closed a few years back and is now another bar called the peanut. They have done a lot of work in down town lees summit. You may not recognize it if you made it back.

I forgot neighbor's cinnamon rolls!!!

Damn, Strother's closed? That was the watering hole for the few of us ministerial students who drank when I was there... I think we even went there for st paddy's day. Beer and cigars never tasted as good as they did on that back patio as they did in the summer. :(

Welcome to the forum. I have family that live in Purdy Mo. I was back there at thanksgiving this last year.

bjdetwiler said:
What childhood traumatic event turned you into a cubs fan:confused:

Hey now, nothing wrong with being a cubs fan!

But I swear god, if they change the name of wrigley field i will never support the cubs again.

Hey, dont knock the Peanut! There is one down the street on 9th in downtown KC and it has a long tradition of debauchery! The Peanut also has the best wings in all the Metro. Strother's was kick ass though!

I'm up in SE Iowa. At the end of the month we're doing a pub craw for my birthday starting in Columbia, over to Hermann, then to Augusta and then maybe if time permits possibly O'Fallon or some STL action. We vacation a lot in Mo. Planning on a KC trip end of Sept.

bjdetwiler said:
What childhood traumatic event turned you into a cubs fan:confused:

My dad, and all of my dad's family, are from Chicago and Cubs fans. Growing up, my dad worked the early shift from about 4am to noon. He would pick me up from school on his way home from work and we would both get home around 1 o'clock, just in time to watch the Cubs who played only during the day back then. I like the Cardinals, and have a great amount of respect for them. Shoot, I grew up watching games at Busch and still go to 12-15 games a year there. Everybody on my moms side is a Cardinals fan. Growing up watching games with my dad though is definitely what stuck.

West St. Louis county here. I just found this forum and just started brewing beer. I am currently on only my second batch with a third being made this weekend.

ahh.. you are in construction hell right now with big bend. When my next batch conditions maybe we can get together and swap a few brews? I am still new to home brewing so I can't guarantee anything great or much variety at this point.

You aint just whistling dixie. My street is actually right there. It is the first light east of ries on big bend. Luckily I almost never go that way, but when I have to, it is a nightmare.

I am down for getting together and swapping brews. Just shoot me a PM. I am pretty much on here everyday M-F and seldom on the weekends.

Ok, it will be a few weeks or more since bottling wont happen until this weekend and I just drank the last of what I had on hand. I will hit you with PM in a week or so.

That's cool. I could probably use a couple of weeks myself. I had a run there of experimental batches that turned out less than great. However, I have a Cali Common and a Kolsch that, given a few weeks, should be really good.

Another STL westsider here. Down Eureka way, although I'm on the JeffCo side...

Welcome to all the new MO-brewers!

foppa78 said:
Hi Mike,
Welcome to the board. I too am from Missouri. I am in Lees Summit.

I'm from Blue Springs...where do you get your supplies from?

BierMuncher said:
Scott...do you have an order in with Kent?

Not at the moment. I'm pretty well set for grains and though my hop supply is lower than I'd like (that Pliny clone was devastating - but in a good way!), the ones he has aren't of much interest to me. I suppose with the way things are I should just be grateful to get any hops for those prices!

I may consider picking up some Rye Malt, Munich, and Vienna, but I don't need to commit to any large sacks.

evo462 said:
I'm from Blue Springs...where do you get your supplies from?

In downtown Lees Summit there is the Homebrew proshop right on 3rd street.
You can also get good stuff at Baccus if you are willing to drive over to the Kansas side. Do you belong to any of the local brew clubs?

I go to St Louis Wine and Beer making at 141 and Clayton. I have actually been going there more and more. I had previously stopped going there because there prices are a little up there. Especially on hops and yeast. However, I ordered hops in bulk, and I have a nice stash of yeast washed, so when I brew, I pretty much only need grain. It is cheapest to buy that there since I dont have to pay for shipping. The dude's name is Dave and he is cool and very helpful.

www.wineandbeermaking.com

I also go to stl wine and beer but their prices are a bit high. I just try to order enough from somewhere online to justify the shipping costs. Too bad we don't live in IL because there is a place that does free shipping over 35.00 anywhere east of the Mississippi. I have thought bout having it held at the Belleville ups store then picking it up there.

It is very convenient though to just stop by stl wine and beer on the way home if I happened to be missing something.

Worms Way also has some beer making supplies but I have never been there.

Froppa, I live in Kirksville. It's about 30 miles from Iowa. we've got a medical college, truman state university, and a tiny selection of brewing ingredients (not that I'm complaining when I need caps in a pinch).

~M~

I go to Stl Wine and Beer, and Worms Way, only because it is on the way to work. Worms Way has a small selection, so I don'tgo there unless I need something. Having a Brews Membership helps with both places, 10% off.(WWW.STLBREWS.ORG) We should get together sometime. I am going to be brewing alot in the up comming weeks. I am on Spring break this comming week, so I will post when I am brewing.

John

Latest posts

Back