any way to kill bleach aftertaste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoegaze99

Reaction score
As mentioned in this post and the one right after that, I had some concerns with getting a bleachy odor in my bottles after a C-brite bath left a white residue on them. I almost rinsed on bottling day, but was always told not to rinse with tap water (yes, I could have boiled it, but didn't) and did some quick research that claimed C-brite at proper dilution levels was safe and no rinse.

So took the plunge.

Nonetheless, despite my pale ale looking and smell fantastic, it's got an impossible to ignore aftertaste of bleach. It's not a faint taste, it's undrinkably overt.

We're at the three-week mark, but I'm not sure the time heals all wounds theory applies here. What little I could find suggests this isn't a taste that will disappear with time. Unless someone has a suggestion, I suspect I may end up having to dump the batch.

I'm wondering this, though: If I brewed a second batch of the same beer, could I blend them and push this taste way in the background? And if so, what would be the best way to blend? I'm thinking maybe add the already bottled beer to the bottling bucket when bottling the second batch?

Should probably grab a Sierra Nevada pale ale, mix it with a bottle of this stuff, and see if a blend would even work to temper the taste.

Damnit!

I would just try to let it age out. You can always attempt to blend it later if it doesn't work out. If you attempt to blend it now, you will run the risk of ruining another batch...

If you use chlorine based bleach, and you are on a city water supply, RINSE AWAY. City water is lightly chlorinated and can be considered sanitized. On top of that, the residual bleach in the container will make a very weak but still sanitized solution with the fresh water. I've never had a problem. EVER.

Go ahead and flame away, bleach haters. At least I'm not drinking putting sanitizers in my brew! :D

M_C

One of my batches tasted like chlorine because i used city water(here city water is like milk in color) so i used water filter systems with activated carbons and some other filters.unfortunately it takes the aroma and taste too but i did dry hopping to restore that.

I was told in the past (and you can even find it in Wikipedia) that Campden tablets are good for eliminating chlorine in water. I don't know if it would eliminate the taste in the beer, but, if aging it doesn't solve the problem, you could try one, and see what happens...

If you use chlorine based bleach, and you are on a city water supply, RINSE AWAY. City water is lightly chlorinated and can be considered sanitized. On top of that, the residual bleach in the container will make a very weak but still sanitized solution with the fresh water. I've never had a problem. EVER.

Go ahead and flame away, bleach haters. At least I'm not drinking putting sanitizers in my brew! :D

M_C

I am not going to flame, I am tired. That is not very good advice. Have you ever seen the inside of the pipes in a 20 year old house? Plus chlorine is not good in beer, it doesn't end up tasting like chlorine in the end product, it tastes like latex or the common term is "bandaid".

Luck!

If your city water does NOT taste of chlorine, using it for rinsing is not going to impart any chlorine flavors. However if your city water is highly chlorinated, you have much more to worry about than rinsing! :D

M_C
I am not going to flame, I am tired. That is not very good advice. Have you ever seen the inside of the pipes in a 20 year old house? Plus chlorine is not good in beer, it doesn't end up tasting like chlorine in the end product, it tastes like latex or the common term is "bandaid".

Luck!

Luck!

20 years old?

Hell...my house is 90 years old.

Time really does heal all wounds. While this will never be a great beer, or even a very good beer, it is now a perfectly drinkable beer ... and that's good enough for me. I'm drinking one right now and there is no bleach aftertaste. The slightly chemical-like flavor it had in the aftertaste is largely gone, too. It still has some hints of unpleasantness in the finish, I'd certainly never BRAG about this one -- it's riddled with flaws thanks to making a MESS of a million things -- but if my friends and I were a few beers into the night I wouldn't hesitate to pull this one out.

So chalk up another one to patience, patience, patience.

Back