Any tips on improving the seal on my plastic bucket lids?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chadwick

Reaction score
It appears that my lids are not sealing really well. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I thought about running a really thin line of silicone into the grove of the lids where they lock onto the bucket, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. I'm leaning toward it being a bad idea. I'm afraid it will only create a haven for bad bugs to hide in.

Any suggestions?

It appears that my lids are not sealing really well. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I thought about running a really thin line of silicone into the grove of the lids where they lock onto the bucket, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. I'm leaning toward it being a bad idea. I'm afraid it will only create a haven for bad bugs to hide in.

Any suggestions?

Depends on the bucket. Some will accept the fancy gasketted gamma lids...some won't.

For those that won't, buy the really wide cling wrap (might have to get it at a restaurant supply). Stretch it over the top and hold taunt with bungee cord. Pop you lid into place and puncture the wrap through the airlock hole. 99% of the time the clingy filament around the lid is enough.

I practice, I do not bother. I know I pitched enough yeast at the right temp...I just let it go week to ten days even it shows no airlock activity.

I had really leaky lid gaskets to start. Now I make sure to wet the gasket. Turn the lid over, fill the groove with sanitizer, then dump out the excess. It fills the space between the gasket and lid and helps it be air tight. I get a lot more reliable airlock activity when I remember to do this.

I do about the same thing with my gasketed lids with Starsan. The one without a seal (BB ale pail) got an infection so I tossed it for the Midwest shorty bucket (7.9G) that did. Maybe search home depot, lowe's or a hardware store for a seal that'll fit?

Austin HS sells great buckets that seal very well. Get a bucked lid tool, you will need it.
D

It doesn't need to be hermitically sealed, fellas. The fermentation is creating a positive pressure of exhausted co2. Nothing is going to get into a loose lid and contaminate your beer. RDWHAHB

I have the 30L/ 8-ish gallon Brewcraft bucket. They don't seal worth a dang but by beers turn out fine. They are thin enough I can see the krausen ring so I know the yeast are doing their job and that is about all I care about. :mug:

When I was using the Brewer's Best unsealed bucket, it leaked wort/krausen under the lid during initial fermentation. This stopped after initial fermentation was done. I like the sealed lids better, as they don't make a leaky mess to clean up during initial fermentation.

Here ya go, simple solution. Got one last week at local hardware, it works as advertised.

yeah, that is a gamma lid only fits certain buckets. They work awesome for those buckets but I am pretty sire it was the "ale pail" style that they did not fit.

yeah, that is a gamma lid only fits certain buckets. They work awesome for those buckets but I am pretty sire it was the "ale pail" style that they did not fit.

Good point. They fit all the fermenter pails I've received from on line brew supply supply stores those being 6.5 gal. pails. These lids are hdpe #2. Just need to drill 1/2 " hole for the airlock grommet

Lowes has a food safe lid with gasket for like $2. I use them with my Brewers Best buckets and they work fine.You will have to drill a hole for the airlock.

Back