Any tips on bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brews and Blues

Reaction score
Bottling day is coming for me. I have bottles set aside that I have rinsed out immediately after drinking from them. Any tips on prepping the bottles before filling? I was thinking about cleaning them and then sanitizing in the dishwasher the morning of bottling but may also just use Star San.

I would clean and sanitize them before bottling. I do the triple rinse when finishing a bottle, but do also clean and sanitize for the next use right before bottling.

I triple rinse with very hot tap water after drinking, inspect the bottle against a light and sometimes bottle brush if I feel the bottle will benefit. Other than that, I have never "cleaned" a bottle with any chemical or detergent and I'm going on about 50 cycles per bottle by now with not a single issue. I sanitize with the drying only cycle of the dishwasher. I have found that two consecutive dry cycles get the bottles up to 180F. This with one of those lasergun thermometers. If I had to do any more than this, I would probably give up on bottles and move to kegs.

I would suggest not using the dishwasher to sanitize. I tried it a few times with my dishwasher and had infections every time. Never had an issue when using star San. Star San is a little more work, but it sure sucks to dump a bunch of beer after spending all the time to Brew and bottle it. Also read this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/bottling-tips-for-the-homebrewer.94812/ It has loads of great tips that will make bottling much more pleasant.

I would clean and sanitize them before bottling. I do the triple rinse when finishing a bottle, but do also clean and sanitize for the next use right before bottling.

Like @rburrelli, I always triple rinse the bottle with hot water when I finish pouring the bottle. I ask family, friends and clients to do the same before they return the used bottles to me.

While I am guessing I bottle on a larger scale than most, I still clean and sanitize the bottles before bottling. The exception to the cleaning process is when I buy new bottles. Then I only sanitize the new bottles.

When I first started out, I used the no rinse Starsan to sanitize the bottles placed in a five gallon bucket. Now that I am using a FastWasher setup I use the no rinse Saniclean sanitizer since there is less foam produced with it when using the washer.

Personally, I have no experience in using a dishwasher to sanitize bottles. Even though I have two dishwashers in my kitchen, I would be concerned about the unnecessary wear and tear on the units when a cheap alternative solution such as Starsan or Saniclean is available.

Thanks for the help everyone!
This is a fun stage of waiting, because when I am constantly drinking beer, I can at least tell my wife that it is because I need the bottles :)

Ya, the only other tip I have for bottling is move on to kegging as fast as you can. Bottling is a pain in the behind and once you have a kegging setup and beer gun, bottling becomes much easier. Good luck!

Like others I triple rinse my bottles when they're emptied (not necessarily with hot water). They're stored upside down until bottling day. I use a bottle rinser/ sulfiter to spray star san. Before I had the rinser, I just used a spray bottle. The bottles go into a fast rack setup to drain.

When I was bottling in my kitchen, I bottled everything on the dishwasher door and used the racks to hold sanitized bottles.

Instead of using a long length of tube and taking the bottling wand to the bottle. Attach the bottling wand directly to the spigot with a short piece of tubing. This way your using one hand to take the bottle to the stationary wand.

I just went through my first bottling day over the weekend and it was easy. Personally, I put as many bottles as I could into my dishwasher and let it run, NO soap. Did this as soon as my bottles arrived and placed them upside down back in the box so no bugs/spiders could make a home. After quite a bit of research, I purchased a bottle tree and a sanitizer injector. This made bottling a breeze. A couple pumps on the injector and then placed the bottle on the tree, did this for as many bottles as I needed and by the time I sanitized my last bottle, the first row was ready for beer. Granted I used primarily 22oz bomber bottles, but it probably took me an hour and a half. Bottling wand was also nice but mine is bent and leaked so I still had to close the spigot between bottles but still gave me better control of the flow. I took my time, wasn't in a hurry and enjoyed drinking a beer while filling.

Don't sweat the process, just make sure the bottles are clean and sanitized, then enjoy the time with your beer.

I just went through my first bottling day over the weekend and it was easy. Personally, I put as many bottles as I could into my dishwasher and let it run, NO soap. Did this as soon as my bottles arrived and placed them upside down back in the box so no bugs/spiders could make a home. After quite a bit of research, I purchased a bottle tree and a sanitizer injector. This made bottling a breeze. A couple pumps on the injector and then placed the bottle on the tree, did this for as many bottles as I needed and by the time I sanitized my last bottle, the first row was ready for beer. Granted I used primarily 22oz bomber bottles, but it probably took me an hour and a half. Bottling wand was also nice but mine is bent and leaked so I still had to close the spigot between bottles but still gave me better control of the flow. I took my time, wasn't in a hurry and enjoyed drinking a beer while filling.

Don't sweat the process, just make sure the bottles are clean and sanitized, then enjoy the time with your beer.
I never thought bottling was terrible either. It would take about an hour to actually bottle a 5 gal batch.

When I get a case of commercial beer, I soak my bottle in oxyclean to remove the labels. If the labels didn't come off after an hour they went to the recycling. I started buying Sam Adams, New Belgium, and Deschutes regularly because the labels came off easily.

The other upgrade I made was a bench capper. I could crimp the caps much quicker with it. Also let me be 'fancy' by bottling in stubby sierra bottles. I went with the colona corker/ capper. It does a great job capping if you can look past the dimple it leaves on the caps. Corks wine well too.

This may be a stupid question, but can I just bottle straight from the spigot?

I wouldn't suggest doing that unless you put a piece of tubing on the spigot to reach the bottom of the bottle. Splashing it into the bottle will oxidize the beer.

Bottling wand on the spigot with a piece of tubing
Vinator
Starsan
Bench capper

Yes, but you will oxygenate the beer a fair amount. At the very least, I'd suggest slanting the spigot slightly(if you can) so that it doesn't aerate as much.

I'd go for it if you can't get a wand for some reason, but otherwise I'd buy one and wait the 2 days shipping until I bottle.

I would suggest not using the dishwasher to sanitize. I tried it a few times with my dishwasher and had infections every time. Never had an issue when using star San. Star San is a little more work, but it sure sucks to dump a bunch of beer after spending all the time to Brew and bottle it. Also read this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/bottling-tips-for-the-homebrewer.94812/ It has loads of great tips that will make bottling much more pleasant.
I'm with you on "sanitizing" in a dishwasher not being very thorough or efficient, possibly leaving a doorway to infections.

But it may have more to do with cleaning those bottles in the dishwasher than actually sanitizing them. There is NO WAY a home dishwasher can get sufficient water and detergent inside the tall narrow bottles to clean them. An Oxiclean or washing soda solution and a bottle brush are needed for cleaning bottles inside.

Once clean and rinsed out, the dishwasher may get just hot enough to sanitize them. But, IMO, it's less work to just use Starsan in a bucket, and you know they'll remain sanitized while filling the batch.

I used to just do a thorough rinse after pouring, But after a while, I started seeing a little film build up on the bottom. So I started using a bottle brush after pouring. But I still found a slight film in some spots where the bristles didn't reach. So now I thoroughly clean them about once a year with an overnight bleach soak. I guess Oxi Clean would clean as well, but I figure bleach will kill anything that might be trying to take hold.

Edit: I still sanitize with Star San when bottling.

Last edited:
Bottle washers are only $10, and they really spray the hell out of the bottle!

I wash my bottles immediately after drinking. Usually a few times. Takes a whole 10-15 seconds. It then goes to the tree for storage.

Bottle day I will simply calculate all the bottles I need, then go to my bottle washer and zap them with hot water. I look up to the light with it, and if it's clean as can be, then I will squirt star san, and leave it on the bottle rack for next morning. Basically, do i do all of this the night before bottling.

If I get unknown bottles that I don't know where they cam from, I will soak them with PBW in the bathtub for a few days.

Bottle washers are only $10, and they really spray the hell out of the bottle!

I wash my bottles immediately after drinking. Usually a few times. Takes a whole 10-15 seconds. It then goes to the tree for storage.

Bottle day I will simply calculate all the bottles I need, then go to my bottle washer and zap them with hot water. I look up to the light with it, and if it's clean as can be, then I will squirt star san, and leave it on the bottle rack for next morning. Basically, do i do all of this the night before bottling.

If I get unknown bottles that I don't know where they cam from, I will soak them with PBW in the bathtub for a few days.

Shortly after Starsan dries you no longer have a fully sanitized surface. It is best to bottle a little over a minute after applying Starsan and before it dries.

I use a wand attached to spigot with few inches of hose and the bucket sitting on edge of table with a shallow pan on floor. Best thing ever.
To make it easier to see level in the bottle as I fill I have a light on the floor on the other end of table.
I use a spray bottle to spray inside each bottle then when I grab a bottle to fill I flip to pour out any left in bottle and fill.
I use a bench capper and winged is backup (I live 50 miles from lhbs).
After 2 years just got a bottling tree and vinator which should speed things up.

Do you need all that stuff? No, just a sanitizer, bottling bucket, attached bottling wand and winged capper.

In brewing I spend more time cleaning and sanitizing then anything else.
Long post, time to get down from podium.

Last edited:
When I was mass bottling, like in the 90s, the day of, I would fire up the oven and heat sanitize the bottles, rinse them first with bottle washer one last time and then into oven. 2 racks in the oven you can fit a **** ton of bottles in there, even stack them 2 high. Anyway, 250-300 for a hour, put them in there while oven is cool so you get a slow temp ramp up and not shock the glass. Then when out I used to cover them with a napkin soaked in cheap 8 o'clock vodka. And let them cool while setting up all my other stuff. I suppose I would still do this the same way If I had to bottle en masse today. But I dont and when I do bottle here and there its usually like a six pack or a few of those bigger 22oz bottles. and I just star san them.

Biggest thing about bottling IMO is purging the glass of O2 and using a wand or from a keg some sort of wand tool to bottom fill the beer. A few quick spritzes of Co2 to purge the bottles, then fill and immediately cap. Make sure caps are also star san'ned.

Some youtuber had the idea of using a cheap off brand soda stream retrofitted with a semi rigid tube to purge bottles as to not tie up his co2 tank and regulator for purging the bottles. I thought that was a good idea.

But if you dont have a kegging set up, or a soda stream to use jsut for this, they sell the soda stream Co2 bottles for like $15 each or so and then they have micro Co2 regulators they sell for those bottles, I suppose you could do it manual way to purge bottles.

Last edited:
Shortly after Starsan dries you no longer have a fully sanitized surface. It is best to bottle a little over a minute after applying Starsan and before it dries.

While I have nothing against making sure the bottle is fully wet with Star San right before filling it up, I don't know if I would consider this feasible or the golden rule.

It would be impossible to clean 50 bottles and to them have them all bottled within a minute.

I can tell you that leaving them on the rack that they are not dry within 12 hours. I'm not even 100% sure that they are dry within 24 hours, but probably are. This tells me that you can Star San up to 12 hours before and still have a "wet" bottle.

Anyhow, I've been cleaning mine the night before, and bottling the next day with zero issues or infections (that's attributed to bottling) for about 20 batches now. That way, I can focus on the bottling part, not the cleaning part. I couldn't imagine cleaning + bottling one-by-one on bottling day. It's not feasible, in-efficient, requires more hands, and it would only increase oxygen exposure.

When I bottle they have already been cleaned . I have the vinator and sanitize about 24 bottles at a time leaving them upside down in the rack . As I fill I grab from the rack . Then just repeat for the next 24 bottles. I usually fill and set the cap on about 8 bottles , then cap with my bencher.

While I have nothing against making sure the bottle is fully wet with Star San right before filling it up, I don't know if I would consider this feasible or the golden rule.

It would be impossible to clean 50 bottles and to them have them all bottled within a minute.

I can tell you that leaving them on the rack that they are not dry within 12 hours. I'm not even 100% sure that they are dry within 24 hours, but probably are. This tells me that you can Star San up to 12 hours before and still have a "wet" bottle.

Anyhow, I've been cleaning mine the night before, and bottling the next day with zero issues or infections (that's attributed to bottling) for about 20 batches now. That way, I can focus on the bottling part, not the cleaning part. I couldn't imagine cleaning + bottling one-by-one on bottling day. It's not feasible, in-efficient, requires more hands, and it would only increase oxygen exposure.

I mean, its improbable that while on a stand, tipped upside down, anything is getting into them unless you have some wicked air circulation in your kitchen/workshop/whatever. Or the stand itself is infected, but im sure a few sprays of star-san on the pegs takes care of that. Im no scientist but its pretty logical to me that if a surface inside the bottle is made to be sterile, it will remain so unless some bacteria/wild yeast is introduced back into it somehow, it does not just spontaneously materialize in the bottle unless it was not sterile or properly cleaned in the first place.

I still think the bigger risk in bottling itself is the entire racking into bottling bucket, because of O2, and then the act of bottling itself which could introduce more O2.

Last edited:
Yep, I agree with all of that. The chance of infection occurring is pretty low to begin with for MANY reasons--one of which it's not wort anymore, but beer now!

Read my reply again. I didn't say bottle them within a minute. I said wait at least a minute before bottling to allow the Starsan enough time to do the sanitizing. What I said is once dry the Starsan is no longer actively working. If the bottles are upside down on a rack in the dishwasher they are still probably OK. The baddies cannot fly up into the bottle.

I rinse after use. When I am bottling I hold the bottle up to a light. If I see and crud at all it gets set aside for further cleaning. I then use a vinator to spritz all the bottles I need and put them on the lower dishwasher rack. I then fill them all. It takes much longer than one minute. ;)

I start bottling day with previously cleaned bottles. Put Star San in a vinator. Spray a bottle on the vinator - wait 40 seconds - fill - while filling, spray Star San into the next bottle - repeat. Every bottle is freshly sprayed with Star San when filled.

I only bottle my beer, I don't do kegs. To wash my bottles, I fill my large sink in the laundry room with very hot water and Oxyclean, soak for at least an hour, rinse with very hot water and the bottle washing attachment on the laundry room sink. I hang them on the bottle tree, dry off with a clean towel and then down to the kitchen to bottle. I fill a 5 gallon bucket w/ Starsan solution, submerge the bottles and dump out right before filling each one. I also put the caps in a bowl of Starsan. I have a bottling bucket and attached spring loaded filling wand attached to the spigot on the bucket. I place the full bucket of beer on the edge of the counter over the dishwasher, open the door to the dishwasher and fill the bottles over the open door. There will be drips, and excess Starsan which will fall on the open dishwasher door. When you're done, close the dishwasher and all of the liquid mess goes into the dishwasher not on your floor. I learned that tip somewhere here on the forum. Works like a charm.

I start bottling day with previously cleaned bottles. Put Star San in a vinator. Spray a bottle on the vinator - wait 40 seconds - fill - while filling, spray Star San into the next bottle - repeat. Every bottle is freshly sprayed with Star San when filled.

Almost the same here but I have often heard that it takes at least a minute for the Starsan to fully sanitize. Therefore I spritz all the bottles and put then on the bottom dishwasher rack then fill them all.

I've always rinsed after drinking with hot water, inspect for crud. Sanitize with star san before bottling, fill and cap.

^^ Anything more than this is a waste of time, energy, and water, IMO. I keg nowadays, but using the above mentioned simple steps I bottled dozens of batches with not a single problem that could plausibly be attributed to the bottling process.

Of course, it really helps to make sure to rinse out the bottles ASAP after pouring so crud isn't allowed to dry out. When the yeast and sediment is still "wet" it is very easy to remove with a simple water rinse.

On bottling day, I'd take my cases of rinsed out bottles, and dunk 6-8 of them at a time into a 5 gal bucket filled with Star San. Grab 2 at a time, dump out the star san, fill them, and set them aside. Once the 6-8 bottles are full, dunk 6-8 more and let them soak while you cap the full ones. Repeat. I made a bottling bucket with 2 spigots so I could fill 2 bottles at the same time, so it really went quite quickly.

You heard or read correctly. Directly from Five Star "Allow for contact time of at least 1-2 minutes." https://fivestarchemicals.com/star-san-sanitizer-8-oz

In this podcast (https://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/3/9/0/39...80416419&hwt=d3f206bc8615001eedea54ce421c63e6) Charley Talley explains that Star San kills in 30 seconds. The label (at that time) stated 2 minutes because the EPA tests were always at 2 minutes, and the label must reflect what the EPA test is. As home brewers, we're free to make our own judgement.

Edit: This is at 39 minutes. The whole podcast is worth a listen.

In this podcast (https://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/3/9/0/39...80416419&hwt=d3f206bc8615001eedea54ce421c63e6) Charley Talley explains that Star San kills in 30 seconds. The label (at that time) stated 2 minutes because the EPA tests were always at 2 minutes, and the label must reflect what the EPA test is. As home brewers, we're free to make our own judgement.

Five Star stills has that recommendation on their website. I really, really, really do not think one's time is so valuable that another 30 seconds (or in your case, 20 seconds) is going to change one's day or life in any significant manner. Since I only bottle (10 gallon batches), I'm guessing I probably am bottling more than most who have posted here.

You are correct, as with everything, anyone can ignore any recommendations and make their own decisions and be accountable for their own choices made. I'm not sure why you wrote that....that's a given.

When I bottled i did the bake the bottles method. All my bottles were already clean and dry. The day before bottling I took the number of needed bottles and covered each with a small square of aluminium foil so it was snug around the neck of the bottle. Put all the bottles in the oven, turn the oven on to 350 for an hour. Shut the oven off and let cool overnight. Thats like 5 minutes of work.

The next day i line all the bottles up in rows on my counter. Right next to the rows I stack two milk crates on top of each other. Put the full bottling bucket on top of the crates. Connect sanitized hose and bottling wand. Gravity does all the work. No bending etc. Everything is right in that comfy work zone.

As I'm ready to fill bottles remove the foil. I do this as i go. Bottle is full, place cap on top of bottle. Any leftover bottles will still be sterile (theoretically) until the foil is removed.

Well, I try to allow one minute or more every time but I often grab a utensil and spray it. In those cases I am sure that I didn't wait that long. I have also dropped un-sanitized yeast packets, forgot to sanitize things that contacted the cooled wort or beer and have not had an infection. In almost 9 years of brewing I had one infected bottle of beer, and that had a nice sour flavor.

Well, I try to allow one minute or more every time but I often grab a utensil and spray it. In those cases I am sure that I didn't wait that long. I have also dropped un-sanitized yeast packets, forgot to sanitize things that contacted the cooled wort or beer and have not had an infection. In almost 9 years of brewing I had one infected bottle of beer, and that had a nice sour flavor.

Mr. Talley also explained that. In another podcast he stated that theoretically, cleaning eliminates the need for sanitizing. Sanitizing is insurance. (I like the insurance.)

Back