Any suggestions on upgrading my system with a pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer:30

Chief Bottle Washer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello HBT!
Now I currently run a 15 gallon AG gravity feed system on my back deck. HLT on highest stand, direct fire MLT with False bottom over Bazooka Screen on shorter stand, Kettle on burner sitting on deck, and CFC directly on deck. The tubing outflow from the CFC goes through a pipe in the basement wall down to the fermenter. It seems to me that if I added a pump to the MLT outflow, I could recirculate my wort during step mashes and avoid overheating the wort under the false bottom (which I'm sure is happening now). I think that this would really fine tune my mashing. I don't have a brew sculpture since I have to shlep everything up from my basement to the back deck each time I brew. Should I just mount the pump on the stand beneath the MLT and Clean in place? Or will I fall in love with the ability to pump and want to use it throughout the system. I remember a while back someone mounted their pump to a tool box or something. Anyone have any input?
Thanks

what if you bolt it to a piece of plywood to see how it works out? If it works, then make a nice protective housing for it. Or mount it permanently if you discover you use it for recirc only.

Is there a way you could your system on a hand truck or something to make the schlepping less schlep? You could then mount the pump to the cart.

I'm thinking of mounting my pump inside of an old metal dome style lunch box. Should be the correct size and will have a handle.

Back