Any sources on how to determine nutriconal value?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinSchutten

Reaction score
I'm not a home brewer yet but I've definately read up on the process.

However as I am a huge nerd, one of my favourite achievements to get while brewing was to get the fictional mudders milk right from my favorite TV series Firefly.

They don't specifically mention what it is, but they do mention it contains "all the protein, vitamins and carbs of your grandma's best turkey dinner, plus 15 percent alcohol.". Then someone refers to the beer fed to ancient egyptian slaves, to give them alcohol to subdue them, but also nutrition to kepe them going, calling it liquid bread.

So everyone watching it imagined a malty beer drink. If I could brew something related to ancient egyptian brewing but altered for modern taste, yet contain all that nutritional value (or have it spread out to equal that on a evening of drinking it).

So does anyone know how to determine the eventual nutritional value in beer? Protine might not be easiest to get, but they are definately present in grains.

Or do I need to get a book on basic food science and start from there?

I've always guessed that the ancient Egyptian beer was more about bread making than drinking. It was probably used to leven the bread. They didn't have the tools available to keep a tight control on the alcohol production. That would have left the brews thicker and maltier. I think that's why the beer and bakeries were in the same structures.

Back