Any security guys out there with suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lschiavo

This space for rent.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have two doors in my building. I would like to set up a camera at each door to take a photo when someone enters and send them to my pc. I guess it would be sort of like a trail cam used by hunters but I dont want to have to retrieve the photos from the camera. I would prefer this to be wireless (a power supply at the camera would not be an issue) and not too spendy.

I searched for quite a while and this is the only thing I found that was close:

http://www.x10.com/whatsincluded/XX16A-PLANETCAM-HMP-V2.html

Could anyone suggest some options? Thanks.

I've done something similar using Dorgem (free software). I'm not sure if it be suitable for your needs, but it does have motion detection capabilities and can handle uploading photos to a different machine. You'd only need two cameras and a PC. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but here's a tutorial on how to do it, if you're interested.

Brewnicorn said:
I've done something similar using Dorgem (free software). I'm not sure if it be suitable for your needs, but it does have motion detection capabilities and can handle uploading photos to a different machine. You'd only need two cameras and a PC. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but here's a tutorial on how to do it, if you're interested.

Sweet! At first glance that seems to be exactly what I want to do. Free software and a couple webcams should make it pretty affordable too. Thanks for the reply and link.

I use icam at my house, it's $4.99 for the app and you can look at the camera from your iPhone. It also has motion detection, and stores all motion events to the computer the software is loaded on. The motion events can also be viewed via your iPhone also.

If your camera uses an SD card, an Eye-Fi wireless SD card might work for you, too.

Back