Any recommended substitutions for hop oil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fimpster

Reaction score
I found a recipe I'd like to try that calls for two drops of hop oil (specifically Styrian Goldings hop oil) diluted in a bit of grain alcohol to be added to secondary. I am not interested in using hop oil, but was wondering if any one knows what a recommended substitution would be. Should I dry hop, add extra bittering or aroma hops? Exactly what quality is the hop oil supposed to add? How do I mimic that quality with pellet or leaf hops?

Recipe here for anyone interested:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/beer-recipe-of-the-week-carlas-oat-brown-ale/

I'm not sure of the intended purpose of the hop oil or exactly where you can buy it.
Dissolving the hop oil in ethanol achieves the same thing as boiling the hops, i.e., it makes the oil soluble.
If the goal is additional IBU's, I'd add more bittering hops. If the goal is flavor, I'd add more aroma hops. For aroma, dry hop.

Well, it must be for bittering in the recipe I linked. They state the IBUs at 37, but when I put the recipe in BS, it only gives 19 IBU without the hop oil. I guess it's easy to just up the bittering addition to match.

I still wonder if there is a reason that they would use hop oil instead of just more bittering hops. I'm not sure what quality is achieved by doing so. And does 2 drops really add 18 IBU?

Latest posts

Back