Any reason to not do this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpinette2

Reaction score
Brewing tonight or tomorrow. IPA

Thinking about keeping in fermenter(SS conical) for 2 weeks. Transferring to a corny for dry hopping for 3-5 days, cold crash for two days, then transfer to serving keg?

I have the ability to cold crash a keg, but not my fermenter.

I guess i should add, in addition to having the benefit of cold crashing...my thought is

With everything i have read/researched, it seems that

You should leave brew in fermenter for two to three weeks....but you should dry hop when 80% done....but you shouldn’t leave in longer then 3-7 days....so i’m struggling to find the right process!

That would work, but I personally just dry hop in my primary after fermentation is complete. The only time I really try to dry hop prior to the completion of fermentation is when I am making a NEIPA, and then I dry hop about 2 days into fermentation.

Is there a reason you can’t dry hop in your fermenter, then transfer and cold crash?

Is there a reason you can’t dry hop in your fermenter, then transfer and cold crash?

Nope, could do that as well...guess i’m just worried about the introduction of oxygen with the pellets.

Thought if i put the hops in a ss container, in keg, purge with co2, then do a closed transfer that would limit the oxygen exposure....but i guess i could be overthinking this

Last two batches were tossed, user errors on both and i really need this to be the best yet(around my 15th brew day)

Even if you were doing closed transfers, I would try to limit moving the beer as much as possible. If you are siphoning from one vessel to another I would not transfer twice. I dry hop when fermentation is finished (in primary). I do 5-7 days. I have gone longer due to procrastination. Those probably lost a little flavor/aroma but were still very good. I have never made a NEIPA as I have yet to try one I really liked...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/no-oxygen-dry-hopping.663500/

Mac and Jacks brewery in Redmond, WA puts a small bag of hop pellets into the keg where they stay until the keg kicks. Any reason you can't?

I keg hop often. It doesn't react the same way as a warm dry hop. you will extract flavor and some aroma, but the benefit is you don't have to drink the beer in 5 days to avoid grassy or off flavors.

Brewing tonight or tomorrow. IPA

Thinking about keeping in fermenter(SS conical) for 2 weeks. Transferring to a corny for dry hopping for 3-5 days, cold crash for two days, then transfer to serving keg?

I have the ability to cold crash a keg, but not my fermenter.

i do this all the time. i have tried racking it over and you can also cut a dip tube then just link the kegs and transfer. make sure you brew up an extra half gallon to cover all the loss.

I keg hop often. It doesn't react the same way as a warm dry hop. you will extract flavor and some aroma, but the benefit is you don't have to drink the beer in 5 days to avoid grassy or off flavors.

I have done it both ways, without purging or closed transfers. With the beers kegged OR bottled, dry hopped or keg hopped, I have never gotten Grassy or off flavors no matter how long the hops were in there. Faded flavors and aromas yes, grassy - no.

I have done it both ways, without purging or closed transfers. With the beers kegged OR bottled, dry hopped or keg hopped, I have never gotten Grassy or off flavors no matter how long the hops were in there. Faded flavors and aromas yes, grassy - no.

How long is the beer usually in the keg? I usually kick it in two weeks

It seems to be, the temp control is only really important the first few days??

If i transfer to a keg to dry hop, and leave at room temp(64-70) will this affect the beer over a few days? temp fluctuates during the day so wouldn’t be a constant temp.

Fermenter is constant temp as i have a ss brewtech conical with temp control

It seems to be, the temp control is only really important the first few days??

If i transfer to a keg to dry hop, and leave at room temp(64-70) will this affect the beer over a few days? temp fluctuates during the day so wouldn’t be a constant temp.

Fermenter is constant temp as i have a ss brewtech conical with temp control

Over a few days, it shouldn’t matter. Your beer quality will more quickly decline at higher temperatures, so I would get it stabilized at a cold temperature as soon as practicable.

Back