Any reason not to dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phuzle

Reaction score
I usually dry hop my pale ales and IPAs. I usually don't dry hop stouts, porters, saisons, etc. Lately I've been making mostly pale ales, generally with a good amount of late boil hops, and I'm wondering if there are any reasons not to dry hop a beer like that. I've got the hops, the beer already should have a decent hop flavor and aroma... I like hops a lot...

I generally dry hop almost every brew I make. Depending on the style of beer dictates the type of hops I use for dry hopping. Cascades or centennials go in my IPA's and for my pale ales, I usualy stick with lower alpha hops such as crystal or hallertau.

I think these days, pretty much any good beer in those categories is going to be dry hopped.

My mistake was to focus too much on the dry hops though. Some of my recipes were seeing too much dry hopping and not enough in the boil. A good hoppy beer should have a solid flavor and aroma addition, regardless of how much dry hopping you do.

Back