Any one ever used super-kleer? And why is my beer two different colors!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redking11

Reaction score
So I have a wheat that I put in secondary and put this super-kleer in. It was recommended by my home brew store. It worked, alot of yeast fell out and is now sitting on the bottom. But something else happened too.first off, I dont know why my wheat beer is so dark, but it is. Any way since I put the super-kleer in it, the beer has separated into to colors. At the bottom is the yeast, then there is a large middle section that is the color that wheat beer should be, and at the top there are 4-5 inches of dark red liquid. What is going on!!!

recipe:

4oz +or- an oz German munich malt steeped for 20 minutes
6lbs DME wheat 65% wheat 35% barley
1oz german hallertau

Wyeast american wheat.

I admit i pitched the yeast when the wort was still 100 fahrenheit and fermented at about 54.

here are the pics, what is going on?

IMG00020-20120219-1527.jpg

IMG00019-20120219-1527.jpg

What was the boil volume? Extract beers will generally be a touch darker than expected because you don't normally do full volume boils. Definitely need a picture. When you add a fining agent you will normally get a second layer but I would have to see the "red" layer. I generally use a whirlfloc tablet during boil and leave it at that.

Edit: I see the picture looks like two layers. The lighter one will continue to fall in the carboy (thats the stuff being pulled out of solution). Just let it sit and the fining agent will do it's work.

and if the lighter layer is going to continue to fall out, does that mean that I am going to end up with a dark red wheat beer?

ok, last question i promise, what about putting it in the fridge and doing a cold crash before bottling?

Yes it will be the upper color, the smaller boil volume is why it's darker than you expected. It will be tasty don't worry.

You can it won't hurt anything. Yes you will have enough yeast to finish fermentation.

How long has it been in primary?

2 weeks in primary, and about 3 days in secondary now. F**k I dont want red wheat beer!

Don't worry it will drink and I am sure it will be tasty. It happens that you miss on one part, that's why we are not pro's.

Going back to the original post, a wheat beer is supposed to be cloudy so the fining agent wouldn't really be needed. But it's in there so nothing can be done now this is more for future reference.

this makes no sense. something should not get darker when it is technically losing sediment and mass

It makes sense because suspended particles provide more surface area which will reflect more light and make it appear lighter in color. I'll bet in a few days it will be all the same color once everything has settled out.

I put the finning agent in because the beer was not cloudy it was murky. I'm actually really happy with the color of the middle section right now. Very happy actually. I'm tempted to put my siphon in and bottle the middle section before It all goes red. But then again, I am using DME as a primer and maybe it will provide enough mass and yeast growth to return the beer to the lighter color.

Latest posts

Back