Any luck 13 degrees above the equator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anrabs34

Reaction score
I would love to grow some hops where I will be at at 13 degrees above the equator. I believe they will grow and probable grow like crazy. I doubt they will produce any cones. I believe I read in a book that all hop farms are between 30 and 50 degrees.
Any feedback?

I've got Newport, Nugget, Cascade, Tettnang, Crystal, CTZ, Sterling, Magnum and Sorachi Ace rhizomes that I will be trying.
Just reading the thread about the guys in Texas that are growing hops and getting cones. Encouraging!

At least in my latitude 21° N, I produce cones, in tropical climate.

IMG_20170329_131014.jpg

Where I live it is a five minute walk to the ocean. The ocean helps to keep it from getting real hot. I filled a bathtub in a spare bathroom full of water one time and measured the temperature everyday for about about two week and got a consistent 85 degrees. I've got the rhizomes so I'm going to give it a shot.

Any idea about pest and possible mildew at higher temps and humidity?

These temperatures also told me I will definitely need fermentation chamber!

Do not worry so much about the temperature, my plants 2 days ago were at 43 ° C. The key is to protect the leaves from moisture (cover).Regarding pests, practically all existing bugs will be tasting your plants, but they are literally the same that affect any crop (tomatoes, lettuce, etc.), so it is part of the game.

THX Mate,

Grew some tomatoes and peppers a while back and had problems with aphids and a type of wilt that I never got sorted. I guess I can expect the same problems. Trouble is, the spray you can buy at the local garden store for aphids is in French. (They tell you how to mix it.) The good thing is it has a picture of vegetables on the front.

I'm 13 degrees south of the equator (Malawi).... been able to grow Cascade here!

I have some flood lights (security lights) on the property and guessing they have been key in allowing the hop bines to flower. Fortunately we don't have too extreme of heat here (gets into the mid-high 30*C) and it does drop down as low as 5-10*C at night for June-July. Big issue I have is watering. It doesn't rain here for 5-6 months straight, and then rains fairly often for another 3-4 months.

But, hops are hearty! I picked enough this year to come up with 6oz (dried) in February that I brewed with. AND luck would have it that I've managed to get a 2nd harvest in... should probably get another 5oz or so (dried) in a week or so!

Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back