Any insight on Force Carbing causing stomach problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallas996

Reaction score
Ok, this is very weird to me, but I figured if anyone ever heard of this problem, it would be on this forum! ;)

I have 2 cornys, both force carbed. One with a kolsch style and one with cider. On very frequent occasions when drinking product from these kegs, it causes me to not be able to properly purge CO2 from MY system (read- burp). Its like I have to burp, but it gets stuck and makes it feel like I have a lump in my esophagus or throat- sometimes it lasts for a day or overnight. Commercial beer, soda etc don't do this to me, just my force carbed product. Weird? Any ideas? Am I overcarbing without realizing it? Could it be the CO2? It's very amusing and laughable when I am not drinking my stuff but it makes me extremely uncomfortable and almost avoidant to drink my own product! :)

It's all in your head.

But, if you can't convince yourself of that, then why not naturally carb? You can add corn sugar to a keg and let it carb up just like a bottle would.

The end result is nearly identical, but if your personal psychosis won't let you accept that, then do what you have to do.

does it look, smell or taste any different then less burpy product? Maybe you had more gunk in those two batches from a bad siphon or more than usual trub in you carboy.

I find that levels of carbonation are significant contributors to system purges. Coke or Canada dry gives me similar reactions due to the high carbonation content.

It's all in your head.

But, if you can't convince yourself of that, then why not naturally carb? You can add corn sugar to a keg and let it carb up just like a bottle would.

The end result is nearly identical, but if your personal psychosis won't let you accept that, then do what you have to do.
*sarcasm*
I'm so distraught that I didn't realize that myself! -Because we know that every single person on this earth has the exact same physiology, it must be psychosomatic; I mean it's not like anyone has an aversion or allergy to gluten, soy, peanuts, strawberries, bee venom or anything else....... oh, wait....

It is good to know that I can get good, solid psychiatric help on a beer brewing forum. It may save me some money in the future. *end rant*

Sorry for the tirade, but the knee-jerk, *****ebaggy tone to your response really put me off; but the natural carbing idea was solid. Thing is, I have naturally carbed my cider previously. I have also force carbed my cider with no issues. This time with the beer and the cider is different for some reason, and I am just trying to find out if anyone has had a similar experience and pinned down a cause.

Does this happen with all your force carbed beers or did you just begin noticing the problem with the two mentioned in your post.
I'm thinking it could be an ingredient which tightens the muscles in the throat so as to not allow a burp.
Different hop, grain, or combination of ingredients.

Like troubleshooting any other problem, we just need to identify what is different this time? Is there a chance that you are drinking enough (more than usual) that you are irritating your stomach/esophagus? More trub than usual in your kegs? Change in ingredients?

Latest posts

Back