Any idea what this is

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sils13

Reaction score
So I'm sparking my mash and when I'm all done I find this on my grain bed any thoughts? Pretty much all pale malt

image-4269017259.jpg

Sry it took a second nothing different then the normal just this time ended up with a crazy grey slime on top, it was a second runnings I added some grain to it but nothing different then a normal mash

Sry it took a second nothing different then the normal just this time ended up with a crazy grey slime on top, it was a second runnings I added some grain to it but nothing different then a normal mash

A little more flour this time? I don't know, as it looks perfectly fine to me in the photo.

Why did you add grain after the mash was complete? Only time I see that done/recommended is for a partigyle recipe. Then it's really to add more starches since you don't do a mash-out (which stops the enzymes).

BTW, this is like showing someone your hand (with nothing wrong with it evident) if it looks ok to them... Meanwhile you have a broken arm. :eek:

I don't understand. You added more grain after the mash?

If so, that explains it. Unconverted starches would be slimy. In order to utilize the grain, you have to mash it. That's what converts the starches in the grain to sugar. If you didn't mash it, but added it after the mash and then sparged, you'd just release the starch as you wouldn't convert the starch to sugar. So you'd have a starchy slime in the grainbed/wort.

Ok I understand what's going on I did second runnings no mash out and added a like 2 lbs of grain for the second mash but my temp dropped a lil around 147 I'm assuming the low temp is why this happend I have just seen that before and that's why I've never seen it cause usually my temps r rite on!
Im not to worried since I'm going to souring the second runnings idk either way its a learning lesson and possibly explain why I had a stuck mash and couldn't recirculate which I started late and was stuck it was a awful brew day and a learning experience I guess!

It's called teig. It's particles that accumulate on the top And it is sometimes caused by over recirculating. I found this after I kept running into that grey slime. The relevant part is toward the bottom.

http://***********/stories/techniqu...n-brewing/1561-troubleshooting-a-stuck-sparge

Latest posts

Back