Any HVAC guys out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selfsufficient

Reaction score
So yesterday I notice some wetness around my 90% furnace that is 10 years old. So, I look at it briefly and looks like a ziptie has failed and water is leaking onto the floor. No sweat, new ziptie. This morning I come down and there is still a wet spot. So I pull the panels and trick it so I can watch it in action and sure enough, found the leak. It was not coming from the broken ziptie tube, but originates on the opposite side of the furnace. So I tried and tried to get it to stop and then....on the internet.....CAME across the installation instructions. Then I became extremely angry!!!! I'm by no means a genius, an engineer, nor a qualified installer of HVAC systems, however I can read ************* instructions. It seems as though the condensate trap was placed on the opposite side of the exhaust which, in clear and simple terms, went against everything in the installation manual. Now, I'm stuck. I think my best, albeit costly ($100 for the trap and pennies for the plumbing) solution is to buy an additional condensate trap, place it on the correct side and route the plumbing accordingly. :mad: I really don't want to rig what probably was an expensive system 8 years before I bought the house. Lennox GHR26 Any ideas out there?

it hasn't been leaking for the past 8 years has it? what was the zip tie holding in place that you replaced? is the trap broken? or is the plumbing shot or just need re-attaching? i'm assuming its a rubber tube attached to the trap from the exhaust internally, and pvc outside the unit to the drain?

I honestly think it has been leaking for 8 years, but I didn't catch it when I bought the house. Total of 4 drain tubes, two off the main exhaust and two off the exchanger. I replaced the one from the exchanger to the trap located on the wrong side of the unit according to the manual. Plumbing is tested and fine. Yes, you assumed correctly. My problem is inside the unit. The exhaust comes in on the left side of the unit, has two hoses, one from the condenser and the other from the exhaust, that connect to a condensate collar that has been plugged. On the opposite side of the unit, the same happens, however the collar is attached to the trap. It makes sense to me to have the trap on the exhaust side and not the plugged side of the exhaust in this setup. Whatever, I think I'm just gonna put two traps on it and call stupidity on a certain company.

Back