Any help with new Kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyGuy716

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

So I recently purchased a new kegerator, Edgestar Dual Tap Kegerator, only to find out that the keg that I have doesn't have the correct fittings. The Kegerator fits the 1/6th commercials kegs and I have the ball lock keg that I imagine most homebrewers have.

I'm feeling kind of bummed and stupid for purchasing this kegerator without figuring out if it would work with my current keg.
Rather than buying new kegs to accommodate my new kegerator I was wondering if anyone else has run into this similar situation? I was hoping there was some way to convert my kegerator to work with my keg.

If anyone has any advice on this situation, thanks for the response in advance. Let me know if you need any more clarifying information.
Thanks

Remove the old fittings and put the correct ones on. It's really that simple.

I built my kegerator, but the taps came with Sanke fittings. I actually replaced the entire beer line with a longer line, so that allowed me to replace them with the right quick disconnects for my pin lock kegs.

You could always snip the tubing and get a set barbed ball locks for the gas in and beer out.

"Remove the old fittings and put the correct ones on. It's really that simple.

I built my kegerator, but the taps came with Sanke fittings. I actually replaced the entire beer line with a longer line, so that allowed me to replace them with the right quick disconnects for my pin lock kegs."

So for this, could I just cut the tube at the end where it would hookup to the commercial keg and install a pin lock fitting?

Yes.

Chances are the lines may be too short, so you might have to replace the lines and fittings anyway. My taps came with 5' and I replaced them with 10' lines.

If you are going to do it, do it right and lengthen the lines like the others said. You will be glad that you did!!! Nice slow pour, small amount of head......... it's a beautiful thing!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I was going to say "my lines are plenty long" but based on this comment If you are going to do it, do it right and lengthen the lines like the others said. You will be glad that you did!!! Nice slow pour, small amount of head......... it's a beautiful thing!!!!!" I'm taking it the length of the lines has to do with how the beer dispenses? I honestly had no clue, I'm going to order longer line while I'm at it. The kegging part of homebrewing is very new to me.

Go ahead and put new lines in.

Get 10' lines with ball or pin lock fittings. Learn how to disconnect and connect them from the taps, take apart the entire thing and become very comfortable with it. You will most likely have to put some more insulation in the keg tower, it will also be a good idea t o put some copper piping on the new keg lines so they will stay cold in the tower :

http://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...-to-insulate-a-kegerator-draft-tower-16554310

Don't bother with the spray foam, just put the line through the copper pipe, hold on with some masking tape, 3" into the kegerator and the rest in the keg tower. Copper will conduct the cold into the tower and the new tower insulation will keep the tower cool from the copper.

Is it really necessary to insulate the lines in the tower? I've only had my kegerator for a few months and it's in my cold basement so maybe I'll need it in the summer, but right now the beer comes out very cold, even if I take a small sample.

Latest posts

Back