Any gun owners here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the AK and SKS market is up again.
I think my brother was saying the prices are where he's thinking about selling some of his spares.
Not an AK / SKS guy myself. Not really into military rifles newer than an M1 Garand other than my one AR and I would trade my A2 target version for a good A1 like I had handed to me when I was a much younger man.
The A1 is cool with it's triangular hand guards, lighter build with more basis sights and no brass deflector.

For a cool military gun though, I love my 1884 trapdoor and want to shoot a deer with it.

I think the AK and SKS market is up again.
I think my brother was saying the prices are where he's thinking about selling some of his spares.
Not an AK / SKS guy myself. Not really into military rifles newer than an M1 Garand other than my one AR and I would trade my A2 target version for a good A1 like I had handed to me when I was a much younger man.
The A1 is cool with it's triangular hand guards, lighter build with more basis sights and no brass deflector.

For a cool military gun though, I love my 1884 trapdoor and want to shoot a deer with it.

Saw an Original A1 upper at a gun show last fall. Think he wanted $800 for it with no bolt carrier.

AKs and SKS's seem to be up here as well. Or rather, after the last scare, they never came back down in price.

As for the OP, yeah, there are a few gun owners here.

Went to buy an ar or ak and price too high. Leave it up to a homebrewer to be creative though, right? I present to you what I'm working on now. I've ordered all the parts you see (stock, rails, bipod, foregrip, etc) and should have it all put together in the next few weeks...

Before
image-518254104.jpg

Soon (photoshopped all my parts on):
image-329548945.jpg

Well, I sold my SKS's on xmas eve day. That same day (at the FFL due to the buyer being from MA) I scored a pair of stripped AR15 lowers (synthetic). Wednesday I sold one of my camera lenses (wasn't using it, and the funds would go to better use) for a good amount (close to what I bought it for). Today I was able to score an DPMS AR15. :rockin: Price was reasonable too. :eek: Pretty much the same as before all this madness started. Came with two mag's and picked up another pair (all 30 round, and legal in NH). Only got two boxes of ammo (20 rounds each) though. :mad: Hope to score some more of that soon. Just a few more tweaks, and it will pretty much be where I want it to be. :D

Now we just need to stop the Oblama madness that he wants to push through (sounds like he's going to do it even if both houses don't pass it). Isn't that, basically, being a dictator?

Went to buy an ar or ak and price too high.

Before
View attachment 93507

Soon (photoshopped all my parts on):
View attachment 93508

Not to hate, but the OG look with the wood stock is WAY cooler on those carbines. The synthetic stock and all the "Tacti-cool" stuff just looks gay on those classic guns. So my vote is no. Don't do it.

Well, I sold my SKS's

being a dictator?
What did you get for the SKS? I went to the gun-show here right before christmas and wanted to puke at the prices I saw. I walked out with a cotton Irish Erin Go Braugh Civil War Flag and 2 boxes of 9mm ammo. I wanted a stripped lower and some 5.56 but that wasn't happening. I heard guys saying the 5.56 had sold out by 9:30 am. AKs and SKS's were bringing bank in though. I'd love to build a bull-pup SKS, but I shoot left handed so it wouldn't work for me. :( Not going to happen any time soon at these prices.

I've been tempted to try the 'plastic' lowers. Maybe for my 9mm build. I'm just not sure. I've heard good things from the people who have actually had them. I only hear hate form people who won't touch them in the first place.

Sold my original sks for 400. last week. I still have a yugo m70 underfolder I may sell. If anyone in the Houston area in interested......

Built myself a 300 Remmington Ultramag. Bedded stock, squared barrel, lapped lugs, tactical bolt know installed and a muzzle break. Shoots like a dream.

Absolutely......I actually made a trip to my folks house today to put most of my nicer stuff in the safe. My brothers house was broken into earlier this week, and he lost several in the incident, including one of mine (custom target ruger 10/22).

In no particular order.......these are the guns I regularly shoot.

(2) Keltec PF9's

Marlin 980 .22 bolt action (got 10 squirels with it the week of new years)

Sheridan .20 pellet rifle (yes, a .20.....odd gun)

Beretta 92FS 9MM

Beretta A391 Xtrema 12 gauge

Browning BPS 12 gauge. Full camo finish. Won this gun in a raffle, and it sat in the safe for several years before I shot it. Very nice shooting pump gun. Compares favorably to an older Ithaca model 37. Now my dove field gun.

Marlin 336 30-30, old straight stock gun. My go to deer gun.

Remington 770 7MM-08, Raffle Win. Cheap gun, but actually been impressed with it for what it is. Put a decent scope on it, and a trigger job. I take it deer hunting if I am hunting a field, and mainly use it as a loaner gun if a buddy goes hunting with me.

Mossberg 500 410 pump. My primary home defense gun.

I have a couple dozen or so more of various description, mostly antiques, and a few range quality rifles, and some other stuff I bought just to have. I typically pick up something or another a couple times a year, and never sell anything. My current wish list guns are a new Browning A-5, and a Japanese light 12 auto 5.

I've been tempted to try the 'plastic' lowers. Maybe for my 9mm build. I'm just not sure. I've heard good things from the people who have actually had them. I only hear hate form people who won't touch them in the first place.

I know that the polymer frames, for pistols, met a lot of resistance early on. That changed over time as they either perfected the process, or showed that they were just as wear resilient as metal frames. Now, it's more of a personal choice. Since I have a complete AR15 now, I might not keep both of the polymer lowers. I plan on keeping one of them, so that I can put the lower together and use it with an upper. I'm also looking to get some more modifications done to the AR15 I did get. Looking to see about getting a free floating tube installed (with rails of course), which will probably require changing the gas block to a low profile version.

One of the things I really like about the AR15 platform is how much you can do to/with it. Almost like with a 1911. :D

BTW, I was able to get a decent amount of ammo today. Since there's not much way to know what's going to be happening with ammo in the near future, I figured it was better/safer to buy what I could than wait. Cost per box wasn't that bad (I've seen much higher), so I bought all that the store had left. All 20 boxes of it. :D Plus a couple of boxes of .45 ACP 230gr round nose. :rockin:

Nice .50! I own a few but nothing quite as cool

Walter P-22
Glock 23 Gen 4

Ruger 10/22
Ruger M77 7.62x39
Savage 30-06
Mossberg 12ga
Thompson Omega .50 Muzzleloader

I'd like to get a .17 HMR and a lever action 30/30 at some point in the near future

No .50 here but..

Sigma 1911
Smith and Wesson AR-15
Winchester home defense 12 gauge (8 round tube)
Tula SKS
Century Arms AK-47
Smith and Wesson .22 mag revolver
Smith and Wesson sigma series 9mm
Savage .22
And just for gits and shiggles a high point 9mm carbine

thood6 said:
No .50 here but..

Sigma 1911
Smith and Wesson AR-15
Winchester home defense 12 gauge (8 round tube)
Tula SKS
Century Arms AK-47
Smith and Wesson .22 mag revolver
Smith and Wesson sigma series 9mm
Savage .22
And just for gits and shiggles a high point 9mm carbine

I had a Hi Point 9mm. Worst piece of crap I've ever owned. Pain to clean

xfevv said:
I had a Hi Point 9mm. Worst piece of crap I've ever owned. Pain to clean

I've heard the carbines are more reliable. I've never had any problems with mine, however I have no allusions about it not being an ugly POS.

My local range has a high point pistol that has sights mounted on the side because "everyone knows killshots are more accurate when the gun is sideways." lol

thood6 said:
I've heard the carbines are more reliable. I've never had any problems with mine, however I have no allusions about it not being an ugly POS.

My local range has a high point pistol that has sights mounted on the side because "everyone knows killshots are more accurate when the gun is sideways." lol

That's hilarious. They are ugly

That's hilarious. They are ugly

I have the 995 carbine, I put the ATI stock on mine, looks a lot like a Beretta Cx now. Best upgrade I did to it. Shoots well, only thing I dislike is the 10 rd mags. They could have easily done doublestacks. Thinking of trying my hand at gunsmithing and modifying it to accept one.

I had a highpoint c380 for a while. I agree, not a real good gun. Cheap shooter but ugly, bulky, and hard to clean. Although it was decently reliable, so I can't dis it too much.

I have not shot my 50 for a few years. Costs to dang much and I will not shoot the surplus military stuff just because my gun does not like them.

Been trying to find some simple 22 longs though and dang I cannot find any in town. I like to plink with them but dang if I can find them

22 Longs have gone the way of the Dodo bird. Why would you want them anyway when 22LR is all but guaranteed less costly and outperforms?

I guess that is what I meant I just shortened it. 22 longs to me have been 22 LR or long rifle.

I do have a couple of boxes though of caseless 22 bullets. Has the powder glued to the bottom of the bullet. Lost the gun that shot them years ago but still got the bullets

We have a few rifles, pistols, etc... This is my most recent purchase and my current EDC:

Springfield XDs. .45 acp "slim". Not much difference in size when compared to the Ruger LC9 which makes it great to carry.

dsc_0040-57128.jpg

thumb2_img_0365-57338.jpg

We have a few rifles, pistols, etc... This is my most recent purchase and my current EDC:

Springfield XDs. .45 acp "slim". Not much difference in size when compared to the Ruger LC9 which makes it great to carry.

dsc_0040-57128.jpg

img_0365-57338.jpg

Call me a pansy but man I bet that thing jumps when you shoot it. Something that light with a .45. I couldn't be accurate.

Call me a pansy but man I bet that thing jumps when you shoot it. Something that light with a .45. I couldn't be accurate.

If you have a rental range in your area, may I suggest you give one a try. It may surprise you how nice it handles and shoots. Don't take too much $ with you though, you might just buy one. :D

It's certainly not for everyone but I shoot it very well.

Back