Any Guitar Pickers In Da House?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maveric777

Reaction score
Just wondered if there where any other guitar pickers here on HBT. I was hard and heavy about it before I bought my house and put them down about a year and a half ago. Been picking them back up here recently.... I forgot how much therapy it can be to kick back and get lost on a guitar.

I'm more of an acoustic guy (my baby is an Alvarez Master Series), but do have a Dean and a Strat that begs for attention from time to time.....lol. I find myself playing more laid back folkey (is that a word) rock.

So lets hear it..... Who plays?

I really wish I never put mine down to be honest. I was far from good, but folks always loved it when I broke it out from time to time and played for everyone (I normaly wait till everyone is good and buzzed... that way they all say I rock the next day...lol).

I have lost all the calluses on my fingers so now I'm right back into the painful stage and on top of that. I done forgot half the notes and songs I use to play...... Ohhh well, we live and learn I guess....

Bass only here, although I do have a BC Rich Warlock sitting here that if I ever buy a soldering iron, I plan on fixing up. Generally, I can only concentrate money into one hobby at a time though, so it's on perma-hold until I can afford to fix it. The upside is, I only paid $50 for it.

I used to play avidly when I had time, finger style and rhythm acoustic. I still pick it up for probably 20 minutes a week, but am no where near as proficient as I was. My calluses on fingers are still gnarly enough to do about a 30 min session before my fingers give out. Half of the time I just pick it up and start playing progressions and scales then I may cut into a verse or something every now and again, I doubt I could even perform a full song any more.

Oh and I play a Martin DR with a modified bridge/pins and a piezo pickup. I pretty much don't like the sound of it any longer, it's been re setup by a local luthier and I still am not a fan of the sound any longer. I may get rid of it and just pick up an 400$ Alvarez, I helped a friend guitar shop for a first guitar and I was pleasantly surprised at what I found in their guitars.

I used to be pretty good, but as I get older I find less time. My influences are Tony Iommni, Jimmy page, Jerry Cantrel, Neil Young and on and on... I have been itching to break out the wah wah; We'll see what happens after a couple of brews this weekend. :rockin:

I have two Fender acoustics, one's a 12-string. I started playing in high school but I don't play much anymore. Every now and then I'll get the urge to pull one out.

I've always liked playing a 12 over a regular guitar.

1974 Les Paul here with a Marshall combo amp.

I too am far from good, even though I've been playing for 15+ years.

Been playing for 15 years- good enough to play lead when I jam with friends, not good enough to make money doing it. Taylor acoustic and a vintage Strat. I make noise with a mandolin, too, but really just chop chords.

I used to play a lot more, but I'm kind of like you Maveric... ever since I bought my house a few years ago I haven't picked them up as much.

I have an acoustic (Martin, but it's a Sigma Martin), but I'm a little more into guitar sound technology and vintage effects. I have a Les Paul Gold Top, Fender Strat, an Ibanez ES-335 look-alike, and a Fender P-Bass (with an SWR Workingman's bass amp).

My guitar amp is a Vox AC-30. My effects range from Boss pedals to vintage Korg Delay rack units (2000 & 3000) to the few Digitech effects that are worth a crap (Whammy pedal and GSP-2101). I hate synthesized guitar effects, but love to get interesting sounds from straight effects... they have a warmth and a more organic sound.

Been playing close to 15 years now.

Martin and Fender acoustic, Hammer and Fender electrics, Frankinbass in a PJ configuration

Play bass in a rock coverband, acoustics at a church gig and electrics to bother my dogs. :)

Cool to so many guitar players around. Like I mentioned I got a lot of catching up to do. I only played for about a year or so before I laid it down, but played every day. My wife accused me of being obsessed.... OK actually she called me anal...lol

About 3 months before I laid it down I decided to get some solid direction by using an instructor. Lucked out and found Mark Kerr who was giving lessons here in my town (He was fairly recently added to the Blues Hall of Fame). My only issue with that was he reference everything to blues. I got nothing against blues, but just not the main style I wanted to key up on. Thinking about picking the lessons up again though with someone else. Can't hurt I suppose...lol

I also have and can dabble a bit with a Cigar Box Guitars. I seen a guy play one on YouTube and thought...."That's Cool!"...... So I made my own (it's even electric...lol)

I play acousitc, both classical and steel string. Mostly fingerpicking, but some flatpicking in there too. Haven't played a whole lot in the past few years, but still pick it up a few times a week. I'd like to take up lessons again on the classical, it sure was a great way to get back into reading music and to learn technique.

I play bass, mostly. I've got a Ric 4003 and an Ampeg half stack. I dabble in guitar, but I just have one of those neat little Ibanez hollowbodies with the tremolo.

20 years. Used to be a gear slut. Now use almost solely a Gretsch Duo Jet and AC15. My acoustic is a cheap, beat up fender that I hitchhiked with and took around the world.

Been playing my Les Paul for about 10 years now. Love to play blues and hard rock. Man, I just love my Les Paul. My wife gets jealous sometimes.:D

I've been playing for 13+ years now. Started out strictly electric, playing in a metal band, then I switched 180 degrees to all acoustic in college. Now I play mostly fingerstyle and bluegrass stuff. A LOT of Leo Kottke - who is my personal guitar god. I used to have 8 guitars, but realized quality is better than quanity. Gibson Songwriter Deluxe, Martin 000 Cutaway, Epiphone Skunk Baxter Cutaway, Fender Standard Strat, and someday a Taylor LKSM-12!

Guitar player checking here, it would be out of style if I didn't post some pictures of my setup, I used to own a small recording studio, but that gave way to brewing. I have played guitar for almost 30 years, everything from punk, to HM to jazz to funk: In 1983 my band AMerican Dream recorded an album and toured for a while, I was only 15 when we recorded it, but it is a bit of a cult classic, right now a copy of that record is selling for $ 160 bucks on ebay :

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMERICAN-DREAM-...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:3|39:1|240:1318

We really released 5000 copies of that one, not 500 .

Here are the obligitory shots of my studio and guitars:

Studio:
2005_0424Image0013.jpg

Guitars:
2003_0910Image0032-1.jpg

2003_0224Image0027.jpg

current set up:

2003_0910Image0025.jpg

Bass player visits a friend who works at the morgue. Morgue friends tells him that he needs to show him something. He pulls open the drawer and lifts the sheet off a dead guy names Steve. The dead guy has a huge schlong. Bass player says, I HAVE to take that home and show the wife! So they cut it off and the bass player goes home and set it on the table and calls the wife into the room. She walks in and sees the schlong and exclaims, "Oh my God, what happened to Steve??!!"

Ok, not that funny, but I heard it on Bob and Tom this morning.

I play. Lots of Stones. Fender Strat, a 25 year old Yamaha acoustic, and a Quebec Norman acoustic.

I found out that when you're sitting around at a party, the thing people want is to hear a complete song with singing. Not somebody saying, "Well, I've almost got the Dazed and Confused solo down..." (which BTW on an acoustic is not so cool...and I could never get the whole thing anyway damnit! :) )

So now it's whatever can be played and sung on an acoustic. And yeah, a little fingerwork every now and then!

-WW

I started playing drums in high school, then I picked up guitar when I started college, a couple years later my Dad got into ukuleles, and they're pretty fun to play, so I got one too. I find that they are pretty easy to do chords on, and they have a nice cheery tone. Recently my Dad and I built a 40in upright fretless bass out of a cookie tin, weed whacker line, and an oak plank.

Does this forum have a motivational posters thread? (search function is down the toilet)

I've made a few about making music...

Thanks for tha linkz!

oooops... dont have permission to see this, not a premium member.

Oh well, such is life, think i'll go and hang myself now... :)

Bassist here.

I play a fender mark hoppus sig (got it in a trade) strung with flats, an Indiana acoustic bass, and my custom rubber ducky fretless.

the ducky:
100508_204300.jpg

This is the design for my next build:
purpleSxrev.jpg

here's a picture of my bass

LESrainbow.jpg

by 'my bass' I mean one of the most beatiful ever created and wish I were so lucky as to own it.

I have never been a huge fan of CT basses design.

and BTW: what is up with the frets on that thing? half way through a re-fret?

Oh well, I'll post them on this thread since i cant access the other one, i figure they belong more here anyways cause no one would understand them unless they too have tried (or hoped) to make it big in the music bizz at some point in their life.

I only made two and using the same frame, here's the first one:

musicmaking2.jpg

I have never been a huge fan of CT basses design.

and BTW: what is up with the frets on that thing? half way through a re-fret?

it's actually a fretless. . .

EDIT: Carl Thompsons are typically a love em or hate em deal. I've met lots of people who think they are the ugliest things on earth.

Back