Any good tips on imparting coffee flavor to a coffee beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyPX120

Reaction score
have an extra 5 gls of beer I want to play with, I want to add some coffee flavor to it, any ideas for best results? I was thinking just mash bag and let it steep in secondary or brew coffee and boil it down to a concentrate, then add.

At this point, I would cold steep the coffee for 24 hours then give the liquid a quick boil, cool, and add to the beer. I have heard of people just adding it straight without the boil, but that kinda freaks me out.

I have a tip, and if I sound like an ******* when I give it, so be it.

Use the search function.

:)

He might have encountered this...don't know what's up

Screen Shot 2015-11-07 at 4.36.10 PM.png

At this point, I would cold steep the coffee for 24 hours then give the liquid a quick boil, cool, and add to the beer. I have heard of people just adding it straight without the boil, but that kinda freaks me out.

^^^
I coarsely grind some good beans and cold steep for 24 hours, never boiled it. Add at bottling or keg. My local VP asst mgr was happy to give me a few great big coffee filters that fit nicely into a colander. Sanitize the steeping bowl, colander, coffee filter and bowl you strain it into. Add incrementally until you get the proportion you're looking for.
I over did it the first time, but 6 months later that was a super good coffee stout

There is the cold brewed method and a "dry bean" method. I know a lot of people on here prefer the cold brewed coffee approach as there is more control. I prefer the dry bean method. Once my beer is racked to a keg, I coursely crush ~4oz of beans and put them in a sanitized bag suspended with a string and let them soak in the keg (purged with co2 of course) for 24-48 hours depending on how much flavor I want to impart.

I say go with whatever method is easiest and most convenient for you. My only recommendation would be to not add boiled coffee, as it can add astringency that is unwanted.

Use the search function.

:)

LOL, I cant even remember how many times Ive told people about my experiences with flameout vs cold steep vs fermenter whole bean additions...

I did, i eventually figured around it, i'll make a new post about holding sarcasm until knowledgeable of all facts at another time :)

Add coffee.

Yes you do!

have an extra 5 gls of beer I want to play with, I want to add some coffee flavor to it, any ideas for best results? I was thinking just mash bag and let it steep in secondary or brew coffee and boil it down to a concentrate, then add.

Boiling coffee imparts a bitterness most people like to avoid.

I just add whole beans to the fermenter for about 6 days before bottling. Just toss them in, no need to sanitize. Using whole beans makes it easier to keep 'bits' out of the bottles. I use between 2 and 4 ozs for a 5 gallon batch. Coffee readily gives up its flavor; there is no need to crush it.

Many prefer to cold steep and add at bottling.

Add coffee.

Yes you do!

Boiling coffee imparts a bitterness most people like to avoid.

I just add whole beans to the fermenter for about 6 days before bottling. Just toss them in, no need to sanitize. Using whole beans makes it easier to keep 'bits' out of the bottles. I use between 2 and 4 ozs for a 5 gallon batch. Coffee readily gives up its flavor; there is no need to crush it.

Many prefer to cold steep and add at bottling.

After ferment right?

So that founders stout recipe calls for ground coffee at flameout I don't see why you can't use beans then as well for reasons mentioned. I don't think the amount would need to change as 2 ounces is 2 ounces but two ounces of whole beans I'm sure has more volume

i also like the whole bean method. discovered that trick once after having a coffee ipa, and then a white stout.

I kegged my breakfast stout Friday. Its a big beer, 12.5% and I really had to work hard to make the coffee shine (peppers and chocolate were used) so I did 2 oz of decently ground beens at flameout, steeped for 15 minutes, then a hit press at bottling. Boiled some water, added it to the press, let it sit while I cleaned the keg, got ready, then I added the steep (also made ground chocolate in it.)

I just lowered the hop addition and IBUs at the start to counteract the increased bitterness from the coffee. I'll update tomorrow with my first sample.

Back