any good lhbs in the DFTW TX area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paithian

Reaction score
Looking at a move into the Dallas area from MI. any good Lhbs in the area how the homebrew/craft culture down there

Texas Brewing Inc for Fort Worth and Homebrew HQ for Dallas, Dr Jekyll’s for Arlington.

DFW is a huge area, It depends where you settle.

Be sure to ask about the homebrew clubs.

Welcome to Texas.

And there is one in Plano I believe. As Wynne-R said, DFW is freaking huge...spreads out forever, as does Houston. It is Texas after all....Heck I used to live in Louisiana and it was much closer to DFW than I am now, living in Texas.

And the homebrewing culture is pretty big. Plus there is the Bluebonnet Brew fest every year

In addition to the LHBS listed above, there is one centrally located between Dallas and Ft. Worth off I35E in Carrollton (just north of 635) called The Winemaker's Toy Store/Dallas Homebrew:

http://www.finevinewines.com/default.asp

The majority of their business is dedicated to wine making, but they still have as wide of a homebrew selection as any of the others in the DFW area. Their prices are also usually cheaper than the others with their club discount. However, every time I go in there the price they ring up is almost always higher than the price shown on their shelf. I don't think they do it maliciously, I just think they're not very good at keeping up with price changes. Last week a 7.5 gallon bottling bucket rang up $5 more than the price on the shelf. Now that's a pretty big difference!

I've been to all the others, but this one is the one I go to the most. No matter how obscure the ingredient I need for a recipe, they always seem to have it in stock. Homebrew HQ has a great selection too, but they seem a little pricey to me. Dr. Jeckyles in Arlington is hit or miss with ingredients. They have the basics, but not as wide of a selection as the others.

There's also a general store/feed store in the mid-cities called Foreman's. They're selection is limited and I don't think they're turnover is that great, so it's also hit or miss shopping there. It's a cool store though.

+1 for HBHQ. It's the closest one for me and they are incredibly knowledgeable and friendly. I went to the Winemaker Toy Store once because I happened to be in the area, but I wasn't too impressed but it could have been that one time. I've also heard good things about Stubby's Texas Brewing Inc. in Fort Worth.

Homebrew festival -wise, keep an eye out for Labor of Love hosted by Deep Ellum Brewing Company and Brew Riot in the Bishop Arts District.

You also have Big Texas Beer Fest, Untapped, Best Little Brewfest in Texas, and North Texas Beer Festival for your commercial beer festivals.

Welcome to Texas! You're gonna love it.

Thanks for all the replys yeah we are looking in Grand Prairie so a lot of those don't sound to bad

Back