Any brew-software for Android?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The developer sent me a reply last night, I just got caught up in stuff I had to do. Anyway, apparently recipes is already in the works and should be out soon. I'm looking forward to seeing what that looks like.

I also like the brewzor app, very useful tool. But I also use the homebrew calculator app, specifically for it's SRM calculator, bitterness calculator and boil timer.

I agree, a boil timer would be nice on Brewzor. But not just for hops. It would be nice if it had a place to remind me to add Irish Moss and to also tell me to put my chiller in the boil at 15min.

I use OIcountdown for timing my brewdays. Its just a countdown timer that can run several instances simultaneously. It works pretty well but would be nice if I could just set one timer with multiple alarms. The homebrew calculator allows that, but a few times the alarm didnt go off, so I stopped using that one.

Brewer for Android has recipe management now!
I had problems upgrading to the newest version (1.5.1), but the developer was very cool in helping me out. Totally recommend this app!

I've looked forward to this day since I first read this post many months ago. I've been hard at work on a homebrew app for Android and have finally released it on the market under the name Brewdroid. You should not have a problem locating it by searching "Brewdroid" or "homebrew."

I'm currently selling it for US $4.00, though I've been giving some consideration to providing a free or lite version.

Let me know what you think!

Congratulations!
I would love to see a free trial version. The other brewing apps don't really work for, and if I'm spending money I want to see it first.

Congratulations!
I would love to see a free trial version. The other brewing apps don't really work for, and if I'm spending money I want to see it first.

Yeah I agreee. Even all the computer brewing software like beersmith has a free trial. I'm not going to buy something blind. Especially if it isn't compatable with BSM files so I can open my beersmith recipes on my phone. In fact honestly if yours doesn't do that, I may have to continue to live without any droid software until that comes along.

That's really all I'm looking for, since I use beersmith already and have it dialed in. I want to either create a recipe on my phone, that later can be translated to my beersmith, OR I want to open a bsm file that I created on my computer on my phone while I am brewing, and refer to it as well as make notes on it that later will go back to my beersmith file.

Congratulations!

Android makes it very easy to "return" software. Within the first few days (not sure about the time period) you can uninstall an app and get your money back.

But yes, I'd like to get a trial/ad supported/lite version out there to get it in more hands.

Yeah I agreee. Even all the computer brewing software like beersmith has a free trial. I'm not going to buy something blind. Especially if it isn't compatable with BSM files so I can open my beersmith recipes on my phone. In fact honestly if yours doesn't do that, I may have to continue to live without any droid software until that comes along.

That's really all I'm looking for, since I use beersmith already and have it dialed in. I want to either create a recipe on my phone, that later can be translated to my beersmith, OR I want to open a bsm file that I created on my computer on my phone while I am brewing, and refer to it as well as make notes on it that later will go back to my beersmith file.

Thanks for the feedback. It's useful to hear what people are looking for.

I've got import from/export to BeerXML (the file format beer smith and many others use) up on my list of upcoming features.

Thanks for the feedback. It's useful to hear what people are looking for.

I've got import from/export to BeerXML (the file format beer smith and many others use) up on my list of upcoming features.

That is what most of us online have been looking for, if you read the forums all over the place. On one level we don't really NEED another set of brewing software unless we can use it with our existing recipes. It may not matter to new brewers, if your software is their first generation brew software, if that's the first one they are going to learn on, and ever use. But you won't really get any of us who have been brewing with software for years to want to make a switch, especially all grain brewers who have their software dialed in to their brewing systems. We've made do with paper copies of our beersmith recipes and the calculators on other android brewing software for awhile now. We want something seemlessly compatable.

Thanks for doing it. Make it a priority and you'll be very successful, and popular.

Very useful feedback, Revvy. The good news is that BeerXML is pretty straightforward, and buys support for a lot more than just brewsmith. I showed an early build of the app to a fellow brewer in my local club and his first question was in regards to BeerXML :)

I may consider raising the price as I add new features, but right now the feature list is rather bare.

FYI, if it WERE seemlessly usable with beersmith I would pay 10 bucks for the software. And I don't think I'm alone.

Here s where we agree again. If it were seemlessy compatible with Beer Smith I would easily $10 bucks for it.

Define seamlessly... There are a limited number of ways that I can think of to get a recipe from beersmith (etc) to brewdroid (without doing something odd):

1) Copy file from computer to android, find file on android and open it
2) Host file online somewhere and tell brewdroid the URL of the file
3) (Conceptually same as 1) Mail file to self, open mail in android, use brewdroid to open attached file

Is that "seamless?"

And -- just to be clear -- these features aren't yet in the app, but it's become very clear to me that they are pretty critical :)

very similar to what you already stated (and maybe already possible), but another option would be when opening a file in brewdroid, allow for the option to open a file from a network location. So if you are at home and have beersmith files saved in a shared directory on a machine on your home network you could access them from brewdroid and open them from their current location. You could then allow the user the option to either save them locally on the android device, or in the same shared directory that it was originally opened from.

Personally, I am a Promash user and would love to see the same functionality for Promash files...however, if Beersmith is the only desktop application you end up supporting, that might be just enough reason for me to take the time to learn and convert to Beersmith.

That could work, too, but I'm not sure how easy it is to "talk" to a windows shared folder/drive/file.

I think some quick video tutorials would make any of the above seem much easier for many people.

Good Point. I do it now with a program called ES File Explorer. It allows you to navigate the local Android File structure as well as any shared directories on a LAN. Not sure if this is something that can be included in any 'open file' dialog box or if it is something that was specifically coded in the Explorer program I am using.

Define seamlessly... There are a limited number of ways that I can think of to get a recipe from beersmith (etc) to brewdroid (without doing something odd):

1) Copy file from computer to android, find file on android and open it
2) Host file online somewhere and tell brewdroid the URL of the file
3) (Conceptually same as 1) Mail file to self, open mail in android, use brewdroid to open attached file

Is that "seamless?"

And -- just to be clear -- these features aren't yet in the app, but it's become very clear to me that they are pretty critical :)

Well, you guys know more about this than I do.

I would like to be able to create a recipe in BeerSmith, and then use it on Android to brew it: timers and such. I can already move my recipe to Gdocs and read it there, but that is no different from printing it out.

Then, I would like to be able to use Android to create a recipe, and then open it on my BeerSmith to tweak it or whatever, then use it is android to brew.

Honestly, I don't know how it works, but I am amazed at how I use Gdocs, Gcalendar, gmail, Picasa, and Blogger on my computer and my phone.

If you do it. I will pay for it.

...I would like to be able to create a recipe in BeerSmith, and then use it on Android to brew it: timers and such...

Same here.

I'd like to be able to import a recipe and then easily start the boil timer and mash timer.

Also being able to enter notes and the OG and volume would be good.

Those two features, if done well, would be enough alone for me to pay for the app.

If it could display something like the beersmith brewsheet that would be a bonus.

I told stephelton I'd run Brewdroid through it's paces and give him some advice on improvements and making it work with our existing software. I've gotta say, just looking through stuff on here so far, I am impressed. I've yet to imput my recipe for Saturday into it, but just looking at it, it looks like it's got a lot of ingredients already loaded, and there is even a feature to add your own (like beersmith.) So that is a plus already.

I told stephelton I'd run Brewdroid through it's paces and give him some advice on improvements and making it work with our existing software. I've gotta say, just looking through stuff on here so far, I am impressed. I've yet to imput my recipe for Saturday into it, but just looking at it, it looks like it's got a lot of ingredients already loaded, and there is even a feature to add your own (like beersmith.) So that is a plus already.

Revvy, I'm excited to hear what you have to say about it. $4.00 is really nothing to spend, but just don't want to keep spending four here and four there. Keep us posted after you brew. Thanks!

Paid for and installed Brewdroid. The hop and fermentable databases were empty. Were they supposed to be populated with ingredients or is that all on me to do? $4 isn't a lot of money, but there's really not much here for me that I can't get for free with other apps. I got a refund, but I'm definitely going to see how this progresses.

Paid for and installed Brewdroid. The hop and fermentable databases were empty. Were they supposed to be populated with ingredients or is that all on me to do? $4 isn't a lot of money, but there's really not much here for me that I can't get for free with other apps. I got a refund, but I'm definitely going to see how this progresses.

The databases are pre populated with a thorough list of defaults. I will try to determine why this wasn't the case with your installation.

I uninstalled, got a refund. After your PM, I simply repurchased and reinstalled the app, and the databases are there. Don't know what you did, or if my situation was just a fluke, but I am off and running. Thanks!

Excellent, glad it's working well. I'll try to roll a quick update to fix that and a couple other minor bugs I've found in the next couple days. I'm also working on getting a video or two up to give a quick overview of the app and how to use it.

I've been using the free brewzor calculator, and I find it indispensable. They have added a LOT of functionality since it first came out. In conjunction with Ultrachron for a timer, I'm all set.

My brew buddy and I do a live interactive internet show about beer Monday's at 7PM CST on www.frontiertelevision.com. We are going to do a short segment on droid apps for the show next week. If you have opinions or input, email us at [email protected] or just tune in during the show and join the chat room.

Our look will be cursory, as we leave experting to the experts.

I've been using the free brewzor calculator, and I find it indispensable. They have added a LOT of functionality since it first came out. In conjunction with Ultrachron for a timer, I'm all set.

Thanks!

In addition to Brewzor Calculator, there is a new app: Brewzor Pro. It is available for free in the Android Market and has a full recipe manager supporting BeerXML import/export for easy sharing of data between all of your desktop/mobile brewing apps.

ES File Manager support will be in the next release (1.0.10).

Personally, I use OI Countdown for my timers. However, this functionality will be included in Brewzor Pro shortly eliminating the need for a third party app.

James
Brewzor Developer

Brewzor Calculator and Brewzor Pro are free, open source brewing applications for the Android platform used by both professional brewers and homebrewers. Download them from the market and give them a try.

Sweet! I also use OICountdown for timing my brewday. It's the only timer I've found on the market that can accurately keep multiple timers counting, counts backwards, and still alerts when the screen is off.

James, I recently installed Brewzor and love it so far. There is a Brewzor Pro Beta app on the market as well but in the comments it states to search instead for Brewzor Pro Free in the market. I can't seem to find that version. Should I instead download the Beta? Thanks so much for such a wonderful app.

I went ahead and downloaded the Brewzor Pro Beta...all I can say is WOW. I have no experience with any of the PC brewing programs but this thing is pretty comprehensive so far it seems.

Back