Anvil Stainless Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave.M

Reaction score
Finally received my 7.5gal stainless fermenter from Anvil. I’ve been wanting to get away from my glass carboy for a while. Lot of things I like about glass but I’ve been fearing the day I accidentally bump something and glass & beer go everywhere.

Overall quality of the Anvil is good with a few exceptions. One of the lid’s spring clips was bent and didn’t hold the lid as tight as maybe it should. Not easy to bend it back without damaging the clamping mech but a little patience and I was successful. Holds tight now. Those lid clamps are strong and well made... just bent. Lol!

I found a few very minor burs in the stainless but nothing a little 400 grit sandpaper couldn’t fix in seconds. One was under one of the handles and it was very minor. Barely noticeable but I did and it bugged me so I fixed it. The other was the bung hole in the lid. I used some 400 grit to round off the sharp edge. Gave it more of a rounded feel and the bung fits better and is easier to remove. Doesn’t grab the bung like it did.

I found the graduated volume markings to be off. I filled the fermenter with 4 gallons of water, which came up to the 3.75 gallon mark on the fermenter. From the indicated 4 gallon mark the other volume marks are accurate. Adding one gallon showed I added one gallon exactly. Filling to the 4 gallon mark actually required 4.25 gallons.

Other than that, it’s a nice product. No leaks. Spigot rotation works great. It feels solid, not cheap. A little lighter than a glass carboy and certainly much easier to move around. Wish the volume marks were spot on but I’ll live with it.

Dave

Last edited:
Had to edit my original post above to correct an error in my statement. The bucket I used to check the fermenter’s volume markings was also not accurate. I’m surprised I never checked that. Due to the bucket’s volume inaccuracy, the fermenter’s volume marking inaccuracy appeared to be much worse than it was.

I have one of these as well. Received it in November 2017. Ebay purchase. It's a solid unit.
Positives:
Crazy easy to clean
Large size
Great handles
When you lift it, the airlock doesn't go crazy (vs plastic)

Negatives:
The lack of transparency is a big negative for me. To the point that I only use it when brewing with Safale 04 since it settles like a brick (porters). The other ale yeasts Bry-97, Safale US05, are much less consistent in how long they take to settle.

But for $125 delivered, it is a good deal.

I ordered 2 of them a little over two months ago. supposed to be backordered a month due to popularity/lack of supply. I went ahead and pre-ordered, figuring a stainless fermenter at $129 shipped is going to go way up in price if they are blowing them out. THEY FINALLY SHIPPED TODAY !
How is yours going so far?

Last edited:
Will be ordering one as soon as they are available. Thought about the SS Brewtech but didn't see any real advantages over their product vs Anvil. Would like a Spike Conical or SS Brewtech Conical but just don't have the space for one plus a chiller at the moment. With the Anvil I'll be able to DH in a bag instead of dumping in my fermenter.

some people reported 2-3psi I think on another thread. If that is the case, not much but just enough to pressure transfer if you want.

Will be ordering one as soon as they are available. Thought about the SS Brewtech but didn't see any real advantages over their product vs Anvil. Would like a Spike Conical or SS Brewtech Conical but just don't have the space for one plus a chiller at the moment. With the Anvil I'll be able to DH in a bag instead of dumping in my fermenter.
I forgot to add the main point of my post. I just got word they shipped today, so if you're waiting, now is the time. might run out fast

I forgot to add the main point of my post. I just got word they shipped today, so if you're waiting, now is the time. might run out fast
Thanks for the heads up. I set up my email to notify when they are back in stock but haven't received anything yet. I'll check their site.

some people reported 2-3psi I think on another thread. If that is the case, not much but just enough to pressure transfer if you want.

You're right about that - pretty much defines the minimum wrt ending up with something one can actually use.
Too bad though. If it could hold ~25 psi I'd buy four of them right now...

Cheers!

I wish Spike would come out with one that can hold 15 psi or so. ATM I wouldn't need anything more than that. I'm hoping to upgrade in a year or two but for now the Anvil will work for what I need.
Even the brew bucket from SS cant hold but a pound or two of PSI. If theirs would have held 15 I would have went with them.

Out of curiosity what advantage would being able to pressurize a bucket to higher than pressure transfer requirements provide? I see the benefits in a unitank because after dumping the trub you can use a carb stone and do everything in the single vessel very quickly. Without any way to dump the trub or do any "quick" carbing I can't see how it would help? Cheers

One word: spunding.
More words: one could - at a reasonable fermentation temperature - use the last handful of fermentable points to "naturally" carbonate the beer if the vessel could withstand the required pressure...

Cheers!

More words: one could - at a reasonable fermentation temperature - use the last handful of fermentable points to "naturally" carbonate the beer if the vessel could withstand the required pressure...

Cheers!
Yea now that I rethink it there's several possibilities. For some reason I was thinking that carbonating on the yeast/trub would make it way cloudy but Its same as using a corny keg and that works. Cheers

Cheers!
I've never considered that before. honestly had to look-up spunding. could cut down on time spent carbonating in keg and save on c02. like above I'd be worried about clouding up the beer.

Anyone been able to rig up a thermowell to theirs? Also, can the lid take a #10 bung with or without additional mods? Thanks in advance

All looks good. obviously not polished like the chapman mash tun but happy overall with nice, lightweight, stainless fermentors. looks easy to clean. seconds to remove valve for cleaning. I donated my buckets and carboys to a new brewer just getting started.

All looks good. obviously not polished like the chapman mash tun but happy overall with nice, lightweight, stainless fermentors. looks easy to clean. seconds to remove valve for cleaning. I donated my buckets and carboys to a new brewer just getting started.
Mine should deliver today. Did yours come with a silicon stopper or rubber?

Unboxed mine. Did have a rubber stopper so that's good.
Upon inspection I did notice some scratches on the inside. Some appear to be the process of manufacture but there are a couple that you can run your finger over the scratch and feel it.
I have not contacted Anvil yet. Coming here for an opinion. Should we honestly think that a fermenter like this could be made with zero imperfections? How deep of a scratch would be deemed unsafe to use for fear of bacteria growth, infections etc?

Wanted to add the 2nd photo is one from the bottom. Almost the entire bottom portion on the inside of the fermenter is somewhat rough, some is in the stainless.

I'm just worried that these imperfections could be spots for bacteria to harbor.

Attachments

• Inkedanvil 1_LI.jpg
    Inkedanvil 1_LI.jpg
    995.1 KB · Views: 254
  • Inkedanvil 2_LI.jpg
    Inkedanvil 2_LI.jpg
    877 KB · Views: 249
  • Inkedanvil 3_LI.jpg
    Inkedanvil 3_LI.jpg
    914 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
I think it was rubber but now Im not sure.
Just curious..how does the Anvil compare to the Chapman? Is the inside smooth like the inside of a kettle or more like the Anvil??Workmanship about the same, better? What made you get two Anvil's instead of another Chapman? I looked at those but in the end opted for the Anvil.

Unboxed mine.

How deep of a scratch would be deemed unsafe to use for fear of bacteria growth, infections etc?

Wanted to add the 2nd photo is one from the bottom. Almost the entire bottom portion on the inside of the fermenter is somewhat rough, some is in the stainless.

I'm just worried that these imperfections could be spots for bacteria to harbor.

How deep of a scratch would you allow in your plastic fermenter?
I have the SSBT version, and just unboxed, cleaned, and did an acid soak....so far i really like it.
I was going to go with the Anvil, but I can't stand that spigot they put on it....

I would contact Anvil and see what they say

How deep of a scratch would you allow in your plastic fermenter?
I have the SSBT version, and just unboxed, cleaned, and did an acid soak....so far i really like it.
I was going to go with the Anvil, but I can't stand that spigot they put on it....

I would contact Anvil and see what they say
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I was going to go with the SS BT but didn't really see a reason to pay an additional $70 for basically the same thing. Never really noticed the spigot on the Anvil until I unboxed it. It would not be a deal breaker for me but not sure if I want to take a chance with the scratches. Not sure even with proper cleaning after each fermentation, if that would prevent an infection or bacteria growth.

If I get a 2nd SS Bucket, I might go with Anvil, I will be watching to see what you do about the scratches, could be a one-off situation.

I will have to replace that ugly ass valve though.....lol

T

Yeah the valve does sort of resemble a faucet on the outside of a house. Would have preferred one like SSBT has on theirs.
I just sent Anvil an email. I'm not expecting a reply today but hope to have one tomorrow.

Just curious..how does the Anvil compare to the Chapman? Is the inside smooth like the inside of a kettle or more like the Anvil??Workmanship about the same, better? What made you get two Anvil's instead of another Chapman? I looked at those but in the end opted for the Anvil.
The chapman is an insulated mash tun. It is very smooth and polished, inside and out. Don't recall why i went with anvil , probably Cost. Don't know what Chapmans bucket fermentors are like

Last edited:
@brew703 might be your ocd taking over. I have it too, but you have to ask yourself what you paid for a SS fermenter. It’s on the low side. Mine came with silicone stopper and while they’re not bad, they do have cut marks in them now from setting them in the lid during fermentation. But I’ve used them over and over and no problems. I know it’s not like the scratches in the SS and while you could try anvil for recourse, I’m not sure they are going to send new ones. Let us know! Me? I would prob take some sandpaper or barkeepers friend and move on.

@WBB I get your point. And I honestly didn't think these fermenters would arrive problem free. I figured there would be surface marks but not so much scratches that you can feel. Will these issues cause problems with a batch, IDK but I don't want to take a chance. Maybe it's OCD, maybe it's just being cautious. TBH not sure what is acceptable and what's not.

Unboxed mine. Did have a rubber stopper so that's good.
Upon inspection I did notice some scratches on the inside. Some appear to be the process of manufacture but there are a couple that you can run your finger over the scratch and feel it.
I have not contacted Anvil yet. Coming here for an opinion. Should we honestly think that a fermenter like this could be made with zero imperfections? How deep of a scratch would be deemed unsafe to use for fear of bacteria growth, infections etc?

keep in mind these are blichmanns economical chinese made product line.. They may not be perfect as far as fit and finish but they should work well to get the job done at a reasonable price.
That said if the scratches are really deep enough where your finger nail catches on them it might be a place that will forever require additional attention when cleaning or sanding out... in that case Id send it back and exchange it. from the pics they look like they will sand right out with some fine sandpaper easily enough (like the 400 grit the OP mentioned in the first post)..

Last edited:
A deep scratch or gouge I would send back. Lighter scratches , I would email concerns to Anvil , and get them to knock off some money for me to keep and fix it. some 400 grit then 600, your halfway to mirror

being these have a rough brushed surface my guess is he could stop at the 400 and have no trace of a difference in finish if that something hes going to worry about.. personally at that point I'd agree with the OCD comment above. Your simply not going to get polished perfection at this pricepoint.. Its a repurposed hot water urn designed to be step up from a plastic pail guys.

@WBB I get your point. And I honestly didn't think these fermenters would arrive problem free. I figured there would be surface marks but not so much scratches that you can feel. Will these issues cause problems with a batch, IDK but I don't want to take a chance. Maybe it's OCD, maybe it's just being cautious. TBH not sure what is acceptable and what's not.

What is acceptable is what YOU feel is acceptable. If you are not happy with the product then as a consumer you have the right to seek remedy. What that looks like to you, and the vendor may not be the same, but the "squeaky wheel gets the grease".

As for the you get what you pay for, there is some truth in this, but you still have the right seek a answer. Things happen, stuff gets missed, after all quality control is done by humans.....

However, if I wanted a fermenter with scratches (not surface blemishes) I would stick with my $10 plastic bucket.....

just this guys .02

T

I get this isn't a top of the line fermenter. I wanted to move away from glass and plastic and go with SS. I figured going with the Anvil would be the easiest and least expensive way to do that.

I wasn't expecting a perfectly smooth, blemish free interior. I do not want a product where the imperfections are deep enough that i can feel it when passing my finger over it.

I could pass some 400 grit paper over it and see if that helps. I just don't want to make it any worse than it is. Honestly I just don't think I should have to do that even with paying $130. Sure if i paid $500-1000 for a product then I would expect it to be flawless.

I am waiting for a reply from Anvil. I'm sure they will make it right and if they suggest to pass some sand paper over the scratches and knock off a few bucks then I will probably keep it. If not then it will be returned either for a replacement or a refund.

I am meticulous about cleaning my gear but I don't want to worry if every time I use the fermenter there will be a chance for bacteria growth or infections growing in my product. Maybe it's a bit OCD on my part but it's how I am.

FWIW, I could have went with a Chapman as their product appears to be the smooth finish and I would think the inside would be like a kettle. That's still an option down the line if i decide to return the Anvil.

@brew703
After some thought, I don't think its ocd. it wouldn't matter as much if it were a boil kettle, but you don't see this stuff on a boil kettle. It matters on the inside of a fermentor.
I have the same scratches around the bottom of the fermenter and they have grooves. I decided to email Anvil and see what they offer to do.

@brew703
After some thought, I don't think its ocd. it wouldn't matter as much if it were a boil kettle, but you don't see this stuff on a boil kettle. It matters on the inside of a fermentor.
I have the same scratches around the bottom of the fermenter and they have grooves. I decided to email Anvil and see what they offer to do.
I emailed them last night. Waiting for a reply.

Latest posts

Back