Anvil Foundry Mash Out Timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smitty4263

Reaction score
I ran some tests with timing this past weekend on my new Anvil Foundry before I actually brew. I read that for mash out you start timing the 10 minutes when I hit 170. It took about 20-25 minutes to go from 152 to 170. Does that extra time in the mash effect it? Should I incorporate that time into the 60 minute mash? Or, should I just let it ride taking total mash time to 90 minutes (60 at 152, then 20 working up to 170, then 10 at 170)?

If you use brewing software, they give you "ramp times"...an estimate of time to go from one temp to another, so you would just set your ramp time from mash temp to mash out at 20-25 minutes, then then once you get to 170, hold for 10 minutes. For example, I am doing a step mash this weekend, 2 30 min mash steps and a 10 min mash out...so a 70 min mash, but with ramp times, it will be more like 90 mins for the mash to be finished. Also, I don't know if you have the recirculation kit for the Foundry, but if you recirculate while coming up to mash temps, you can probably cut that time down to 10-15 minutes.

You can incorporate it or not. As long as you keep your process consistent each time, you will get to understand the properties of the wort you produce and be able to adjust your targets to attain the end results you want.

Latest posts

Back