Anvil foundry 6.5 -> 10.5 conversion possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graaag

Reaction score
I was gifted an anvil 6.5 from a friend and it’s awesome but using it to make full (5g) batches requires 2 runs through. has anyone modified it to hold a larger volume? Can the Reservoir be swapped for a larger capacity? It appears to be the same as the 10.5 except for the height at least in images but I could be wrong it may be narrower.

Another (and probably easier/safer) possibility would be so sell your 6.5 online (e.g., HBT, Craigslist, FB Marketplace, etc.) to subsidize the purchase of a 10.5. That's assuming that your gifter wouldn't be offended.

I know on the 10.5 there are lots of tips to stretch the capacity to a large brew (ris, barleywines, etc.).

Perhaps you can read and see if tips on the 10.5 can be modified for your 6.5??
Maybe you can get to, say 1.060 sg on a 5 gallon?
Or throw a little dme in the recipie to stretch to 5 gallons?

Edit: here's the massive 51 page (and counting) anvil 10.5 thread (although 6.5 is included too!).

Good luck!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/anvil-foundry-all-grain-brewing-system.666090/

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but why not use the smaller size to your advantage and brew smaller batches more often on 6.5?

I tried to do the same with the 10.5 and figure out how to do 10 gallon batches. The weak point is obviously the boil. No way around that.

I know that some kettles have an attachment to make them higher. Never seen that for the anvil. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

I ended up getting two mash tuns and a HLT (grain father sparge water heater). Doing double batches and taking turns boiling the wort.

I tried to do the same with the 10.5 and figure out how to do 10 gallon batches. The weak point is obviously the boil. No way around that.

I know that some kettles have an attachment to make them higher. Never seen that for the anvil. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

I ended up getting two mash tuns and a HLT (grain father sparge water heater). Doing double batches and taking turns boiling the wort.
I brew 18.5 liter batches on my 6.5 anvil brewing system and it is awesome. The boil can be a bit worrisome but if you ad some FermCap s to the boil - it won't boil over and I am at 21.5 liter boils. Praise the Lord - no boil overs, no mess but I do have to ad about 1.5 liters to the fermenter because boil off at 240V is a little more extreme than at 120.

I brew 18.5 liter batches on my 6.5 anvil brewing system and it is awesome. The boil can be a bit worrisome but if you ad some FermCap s to the boil - it won't boil over and I am at 21.5 liter boils. Praise the Lord - no boil overs, no mess but I do have to ad about 1.5 liters to the fermenter because boil off at 240V is a little more extreme than at 120.

Consider MIAB... if you utilize a $20 igloo cooler + a brew bag...

With a 6.5 kettle, even running at 240V you can easily produce 20L/5.3 gal into a fermenter

i do it for every batch.

Currently ferment in 5 gal corny kegs, so my final serving yield is 18L/4.76gal.

Once the 23L/6.1gal toroedo keg arrives I'll be netting a full 19L/5gal for serving.

Granted, this kit is absolutely maxed out on batch size, but it does work.

Back