Anvil Crucible or SS Brewtech Chrinical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LagerLover78

Reaction score
I've been looking around at stainless conicals and have settled on either the Anvil Crucible or the SS Brewtech Chronical. I know the price of those units is about $125 apart, but those are the closest units to my budget.

$400 is my top spend level at the moment, with the assumption that the unit I buy will be in the brewery for a loooooooong time. Thought about a unitank, but $600 is a bit much for my blood.

What I've notticed...

The Chronical has thicker stainless (almost 2x according to the email I got from SS Brewtech) and does have welded tri clamp fittings across the unit (lid, both valves, cone) and seems to have been on the market for longer than the Crucible. However I have seen some people have issues with welds or cracking in the cone and would likely upgrade the 3 peice bottom dump valve to a butterfly unit (an added cost).

The Crucible has tons of accessories, appears to be another well thought out Blichmann product, and it's a bit less expensive than the SS Brewtech unit (more budget for future brewery purchases). However, the stainless is about half as thick as the Chronical, and (after tons of digging) found a claim of bent up lid clamps on the BUCKET, not the Crucible (curious of any Crucuble owners had experienced that issue).

Curious to see what current Crucible owners and Chronical owners have to say about their purchases...the good, the bad, and the ugly

LL78

Did you check Delta Brewing Systems conicals? They have a 4 and 8 gallon model. Currently the 8 gallon is sold out and they do not display a price. I forget the price, but it was very budget friendly.

Did you check Delta Brewing Systems conicals? They have a 4 and 8 gallon model. Currently the 8 gallon is sold out and they do not display a price. I forget the price, but it was very budget friendly.

Thanks Rufus! I did look at that unit. Was hoping to find an option with tri clamp bottom dump to be able to remove the 90* elbow for easier cleaning of the valve.

Always open to suggestions! Thanks for the input!

Not sure about the SS Brewtech Chronicals, but I have a 15 gallon SS Brewtech Kettle, 3 7 gallon SS Brewtech Brew Buckets, and the SS Brewtech 1/5 HP glycol chiller. I love my setup, but it was definitely overpriced. Had I done a bit more research when I started I may have gone a different route. Take from that what you will...

Thanks wepeeler! I've been looking at these units on and off since this spring...got some gift cards to the LHBS for my bday, so that rekindled the fire!

In your same shoes. I'm moving from a cobbled together propane system to an anvil 10.5 electric and I'm leaning towards getting a SS conical fermenter. Can't stand the plastic containers I've always used. But I can't decide between these two...

In your same shoes. I'm moving from a cobbled together propane system to an anvil 10.5 electric and I'm leaning towards getting a SS conical fermenter. Can't stand the plastic containers I've always used. But I can't decide between these two...

Have been mulling it over. Thinking I'm going with the Crucible. Could use the 125 saved to go toward an accessory pack (temp control pack, o2 wand, etc).

I've got the 10.5 foundry. Freaking love it!

The foundry beats the heck out of dealing with propane and the mandatory outdoor brewing.

Absolutely agree. Have been drawing up different layouts for a bar build for the basement and was trying to figure out how/if it's possible (within reason) to relocate the brewery behind the bar so its all located/stowed away behind the bar. Would be nice to eliminate carrying full kegs down stairs and over carpet...

I do a lot of hands on product reviews, for HomeBrewFinds. Below are links to my reviews on various stainless options. Although the Anvil isn't pressure-rated, I connect my CO2 bottle up to it and connect through a fitting in the bung in the lid to provide pressure and do a closed transfer at the end of fermentation. It's always surprising a simple rubber bung can hold that pressure, but I transfer at 2 - 5 psi, using the spigot on the fermentor. Also, with the steep cone, the dump valve actually works to dump out accumulated precipitate in your brew- if that's your thing. I bought a 1.5" TC to 1/2" hose barb fitting to make the outflow more controllable/manageable, and dump out stuff 1-2 times during fermentation before transferring to keg.

Another one I didn't review, and it's not stainless, so might not be on your shopping list. But the FermZilla All Rounder is great. Getting the pressure kit from MoreBeer is such a great price, and the pressure capability on them rivals the $500+ stainless conicals from a lot of places.

I do a lot of hands on product reviews, for HomeBrewFinds. Below are links to my reviews on various stainless options. Although the Anvil isn't pressure-rated, I connect my CO2 bottle up to it and connect through a fitting in the bung in the lid to provide pressure and do a closed transfer at the end of fermentation. It's always surprising a simple rubber bung can hold that pressure, but I transfer at 2 - 5 psi, using the spigot on the fermentor. Also, with the steep cone, the dump valve actually works to dump out accumulated precipitate in your brew- if that's your thing. I bought a 1.5" TC to 1/2" hose barb fitting to make the outflow more controllable/manageable, and dump out stuff 1-2 times during fermentation before transferring to keg.

Another one I didn't review, and it's not stainless, so might not be on your shopping list. But the FermZilla All Rounder is great. Getting the pressure kit from MoreBeer is such a great price, and the pressure capability on them rivals the $500+ stainless conicals from a lot of places.

Thanks for thr reply micraftbeer!

I did read your review...several times Lol! Have read/watched as many reviews as I was able to find since this spring.

I'm pretty well set on the Crucible. Looking forward to the upgrade!

Well I was looking at Anvil FB page yesterday trying to determine if there have been past black Friday deals. It appears yes. And I got a link pop up on anvil conical fermenter from an advert through Urban Brewer in Miami. And then looking at their page, they had one in stock, which was unusual as very few stores have any stock on these. Then looking closer, FB was offering 20% off. Free shipping also. Too good to be true, but I put in cart and then went on and paid for it. Shipped today. $296 total with my tax. And $55 off. $241 net paid out through paypal. Whoosh wheeeh.... Better than black Friday deal could ever be..... Tossing out the plastic brew buckets...

Well I was looking at Anvil FB page yesterday trying to determine if there have been past black Friday deals. It appears yes. And I got a link pop up on anvil conical fermenter from an advert through Urban Brewer in Miami. And then looking at their page, they had one in stock, which was unusual as very few stores have any stock on these. Then looking closer, FB was offering 20% off. Free shipping also. Too good to be true, but I put in cart and then went on and paid for it. Shipped today. $296 total with my tax. And $55 off. $241 net paid out through paypal. Whoosh wheeeh.... Better than black Friday deal could ever be..... Tossing out the plastic brew buckets...

Pulled the trigger on a Crucible myself! Didn't find the deal you got though! Hopefully should be in by next Friday...would love to break it in with the next ferment. Planning on taking next Friday off to brew the first fall beer of the season!

Got the Anvil conical in this afternoon. I'll say that Urban Brewers in Miami shipped it out the day they got my order. three days shipping is good for UPS also. Arrived in perfect shape. Went together easy, watch for the leg rivets, they are two part. Pull the the pieces apart and insert the first piece into the bracket, then push in the outer pin that locks it in place. Instructions don't day do this.... Rest of the items are nothing to it. I'll give it a good clean in PDW tomorrow and sanitize most probably also. Nothing to put in it yet. Got to brew early next week. It is a bit trippy with the heavy valve on the bottom..... But I can way more easily move it with beer in it also.

Attachments

• 16361432122663510051149376625705.jpg
    16361432122663510051149376625705.jpg
    957.4 KB · Views: 17
Got the Anvil conical in this afternoon. I'll say that Urban Brewers in Miami shipped it out the day they got my order. three days shipping is good for UPS also. Arrived in perfect shape. Went together easy, watch for the leg rivets, they are two part. Pull the the pieces apart and insert the first piece into the bracket, then push in the outer pin that locks it in place. Instructions don't day do this.... Rest of the items are nothing to it. I'll give it a good clean in PDW tomorrow and sanitize most probably also. Nothing to put in it yet. Got to brew early next week. It is a bit trippy with the heavy valve on the bottom..... But I can way more easily move it with beer in it also.

The Crucible should be here in the next few days! Should have a 1st ferment in it next weekend Friday. Have a brisket on the smoker today, so I wouldn't have time to clean/pacivate today and need to work in the garage tomorrow. Been up since 530 (a little more than 3 hrs already)

I work from home doing custom laser engraving and I've got a bunch of parts that take 40 minutes between changes and are metal so I can push the start button and walk off for half an hour. Easy to go brew while I do that, and laser just waits on me to do the next one.... Oh, I noticed one spot inside where one of the pins holding a lid clamp wasn't finished. Sticks out about a 32nd of an inch. I'll have to clip it off. It is a defect, but insignificant for this container. I'll probably clean it up this afternoon once we warm up a bit.

Back