Antique keg tap (share pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodder

Reaction score
So my father in law came across this from another relative, she wasn't even going to keep it. He nabbed it since he knew I would appreciate it. I thought it was neat. Apparently the key was used so the bartender could leave the cask alone and no one could just steal beer. Might make some kind of decorative project out of it.

DSC00712.jpg

DSC00713.jpg

Yeah I thought so too. Unfortunately, there are no marks or stamps on it to do any research. Well, I didn't take it apart. It looks like the main body is cast, and then the top and bottom part of the tap assembly screw in. Being 100 years old, I don't see myself getting it apart without making some kind of scratches or marks on it. I like that patina intact.

Def a well preserved piece of history. Maybe mount it in a shadow box above the bar or something?

That might be appropriate. I am googling around looking for something similar online. I am seeing a lot of brass taps, but nothing with a key so far. Maybe my g-fu is weak this morning.

Judging by the amount of black stuff on the inside, I'd swear it was used as a pipe at some point. Doesn't have the distinct resin smell though. [not that I would know what that smell is of course... :)]

You can tell by the wear that she saw some brew. Nice.

Back