Another Texan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerfreak2

Reaction score
Howdy, My name is Tom and I caught the brewing bug about 20 years ago. My first brew was an English porter and every bottle gushed or burst. So I decided to just buy craft beers for the next 20 years. Now that there is so much info on the web about home brewing I decided to get back into it. Right now I have a Honey blonde from Austin HB in a secondary and a pecan porter in my primary. Maybe after reading so much on this forum I can get these right.

pokerfreak, I'm in amarillo and just joined this forum. Good to know there's another homebrewer in the area. Know of any more? I'd love to start a club here and I want to call it:

the high plains drafters

Aren't I clever! Whadaya say?

Hey colinthehippie, Sure I'd love to but I only know of one other home brewer in Amarillo. I have a poker club in Canyon that plays every Sunday. We could meet there and have a tasting and discuss brewing then play some poker. I would be surprised if we could get anybody to join a HB club. Hell most everyone that I offer a HB is afraid to try it cause all they will drink is cheap light beer. What kinda beer do you have in the works or ready to sample ? Do you brew from extract or kits or all grain ?

I just kegged an ESB from Northern Brewer, and have a kinderweisse from them in the secondary. Nothing's quite ready to sample, still have to force the keg.

I brew extract and all grain, but my all grain setup is not optimal yet. I've been mashing in a ten gallon cooler with a homemade manifold, which works OK except that I have a hard time getting to temp; measuring temp in the mash proves inaccurate. I've made only three or four all grain brews so I'm still getting the hang of the process.

Plan to brew a vanilla stout (extract) and a honey ale with amarillo hops (all grain) in the next couple of months. I haven't played poker, I assume I'd get taken, but I might show up for the homebrew.

Hey pokerfreak2 just to let you know we do have a homebrew club in the area. We are the high plains drafters. www.highplainsdraftes.org come check out the site to see when our next meeting is. We usually meet each month at a members house. Look forward to meeting you.

BTW there is a great beer event tomorrow night at the discovery center that we are helping out on. its the Beerology event check www.dhdc.org for details.

later
Michael

Latest posts

Back