Another sour question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
I did split ECY 20 into 2 different carboys per recs on this board with 4.5 gallons in each. Fermentation already started in both, less than 12 hours in. Thanks guys!

I did a Flanders red, but have an another question for the sour brewing experts out there.

I have read that you move to secondary vessel with this beer if you use regular yeast for primary ferment and then add bugs later, but with the ECY 20 that has some S. cerevisiae in it, do I need to move to a secondary or with all the brett, pedio, lacto, etc. just leave it alone?

Thanks!

you can do either. i would leave it alone. make sure the carboys are well sealed, air-locks topped up, and hide away somewhere. check every few months to refill the air-lock.

Generally speaking, you would leave a lambic on the yeast and take a flanders off the yeast but I do agree with sweetcell on this one. I would just leave it, ECY20 has a ton of different organisms so just give them all a chance to do their thing. Also remember not to steal good beer from your future self by sampling too much. Cheers!

Back