Another Sellout: Anchor Brewing Acquired by Sapporo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i only drink the porter. which makes sense as its the one that hides that disgusting common yeast the most.

Anchor has been around forever, but Fritz Maytag's purchase of it was a landmark of the craft brewing movement.

now? what do you mean now? anchor got sold like 5-6-7-8 years ago to a bunch of beverage guys with capital connections. they saw a full production brewery with good name recognition and good distribution that wasnt going anywhere. added some new recipes, spent some dough on neaveau type branding, and cashed in. which was always their plan. i would assume they've been quietly shopping themselves out for a while now.

Golden Road in LA is another one. that one was at least started from scratch, but still by a marketing type as opposed to a brewer trying to strike out on their own. designed from scratch to be an acquisition target. it almost seems sometimes that connections with distributors and slick packaging can do just as much, if not more, than great beer.

Darn, another beer I'll have to boycott. Granted, I haven't had one in...hell, I can't remember, but that's not the point. I will continue not having one now! That will show the greedy slime!!

For the record, I am only boycotting Anchor. I'll still have an occasional Sapporo when I go for sushi. ;)

Darn, another beer I'll have to boycott. Granted, I haven't had one in...hell, I can't remember, but that's not the point. I will continue not having one now! That will show the greedy slime!!

For the record, I am only boycotting Anchor. I'll still have an occasional Sapporo when I go for sushi. ;)

This is funny because Sapporo is a great company who is at the vanguard of new brewing science research and study.

Craft beer is getting popular in Japan and the big brewers are taking note and trying to squash us.

The reality is that if the big brewers help to educate the public about craft beer, it is good for me too.

Good for them and I hope to be able to drink some Anchor beers in Japan soon.

Craft beer is getting popular in Japan and the big brewers are taking note and trying to squash us.

The reality is that if the big brewers help to educate the public about craft beer, it is good for me too.

Good for them and I hope to be able to drink some Anchor beers in Japan soon.

For the past few years, Revolution Brewing (Chicago) has been sending a lot of beer to Tokyo. Have you ever seen it in Japan? (Probably not. You're pretty far from Tokyo.)

If so... drink it. It's good! :ban:

Them sending beer to Japan used to drive me nuts. Until they expanded, they couldn't keep the shelves stocked here... but were sending a 1/4 of their beer to Japan. I get it though. They wanted to get in when the market was new. Overall, it's a business first.

Is anyone actually disappointed by this? Anchor is hardly a major player in the craft beer industry any more, and Sapporo seems like a cool company.

Is anyone actually disappointed by this? Anchor is hardly a major player in the craft beer industry any more, and Sapporo seems like a cool company.

^THIS^

The responses i've seen are a result of the "Hate-ABINBEV-ification" of the community. Sapporo is a great company who is hitting research and development in Brewing Science hard right now. By all accounts they are an honest company doing much to advance brewing science.

^THIS^

The responses i've seen are a result of the "Hate-ABINBEV-ification" of the community. Sapporo is a great company who is hitting research and development in Brewing Science hard right now. By all accounts they are an honest company doing much to advance brewing science.

B-b-b-but they are MACRO!

^THIS^

All the accolades, wow...Did they write a LODO paper or something?

All the accolades, wow...Did they write a LODO paper or something?

I'm sensing a sarcasm and hostility that's unwarranted. Not all macro brewers are underhanded. By all accounts, Sapporo is a good company whose intentions align with advancing the study of brewing and whose track record doesn't indicate that they operate with the same motives as some of their American counterparts.

i'm sensing a sarcasm and hostility that's unwarranted. Not all macro brewers are underhanded. By all accounts, sapporo is a good company whose intentions align with advancing the study of brewing and whose track record doesn't indicate that they operate with the same motives as some of their belgian counterparts.

ftfy. ;)

For the past few years, Revolution Brewing (Chicago) has been sending a lot of beer to Tokyo. Have you ever seen it in Japan? (Probably not. You're pretty far from Tokyo.)

If so... drink it. It's good! :ban:

Them sending beer to Japan used to drive me nuts. Until they expanded, they couldn't keep the shelves stocked here... but were sending a 1/4 of their beer to Japan. I get it though. They wanted to get in when the market was new. Overall, it's a business first.

I haven't seen it here but I will look for it. I always keep an eye out for American beers but I haven't seen any here yet (other than Budweiser and Lone Star).

^THIS^

I believe they partner with a university in Japan and do some petty intense research on barley, malted barely, and mash chemistry.

But they are a business and they are one of the big brewers keeping me from buying domestically grown hops. The major hop farmers here have exclusive contracts with the big brewers and will not sell to anyone else.

So what I took away from this article is the line that says Anchor is Americas first and oldest brewery.

But Yuengling markets itself as Americas oldest brewery.

So which is it? Who is actually the oldest?

Elon Musk didn't start Space X because it was a get rich quick scheme. Maytag didn't buy Anchor to get rich either. What's Sapporo's goal?

This is even more nonsensical. Now capitalism is strictly a "get rich quick scheme" and Space X is just altruism? Musk, the rent seeker, knows about capitalizing on investments. Maytag was already rich when he bought Anchor, thanks to the appliance fortune. Im sure when he bought the then-failing Anchor Brewery, he tossed in an extra 20% on the purchase price because he felt he needed to delay "getting rich quick" and increasing the investment cost would help out that cause. Craft brewery owners must now delay profits otherwise they will face the wrath of the home brewers guild.

Behind that mustachioed millennial that rides from their parents house a fixed gear bicycle with a laden saddle bag (Apple products and Marx must be on hand at all times) to their 10hr/week "employment" at a co-op owned artisanal organic vegan brewery, is someone who would take the money.

Wow, you should cut back on the hyperbole koolaid, pal.

Don't care to address any of the points regarding capitalism, rent seeking, altruism, or craft beer co-op hive-mind? Or maybe your initial argument (and follow up argument) was bogus? Probably the latter.

It's ok buddy, you're one of those online forum people that can't accept other people's opinions if they differ from yours. I recognize that and I'm ok with that.

Back