Another sanke fermenter gadget: floating dip tube and hop dropper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apache_brew

Reaction score
I found something like this configuration searching through google and decided to try it out given I had most of the parts laying around. I’m hoping the floating dip tube works out, I’ve never used one. The approach is to use the gas out post as the airlock/prv. Use the sightglass as a hop chamber that can be co2 purged with the ball lock posts. And use the butterfly valve to dump dry hops to minimize oxygen intrusion. After cold crash, transfer beer into kegs under pressure.

E5464771-23C0-4B61-AF9F-BDD7A16579CC.jpeg

76F61F2D-C85E-44BF-B9BE-D3824C415F11.jpeg

65FD7654-59AF-4FEF-BD95-98A11BF8BA0A.jpeg

BA479161-7682-42BA-AA42-01899D57AB66.jpeg
CBE1CCF1-EC9A-4FB1-A6A9-9F05D5518AAF.jpeg
E5AF5779-3FF5-48B6-9399-A9A2198F07D1.jpeg

I picked up a filter screen and I think it made a big help. This was my first attempt using the system and I was very pleased. The dry hop charge for a 10 gallon batch was 13 oz of pellet hops. The hops were loaded in the chamber, purged, and then dropped. Only one or two pellets got lodged on the silicone tube through the neck of the sankey keg, but that's ok. When performing the initial racking from the "fermenter", it was very smooth, no clogs of hops in the ball lock fittings, Win. The filter screen did it's job. I couldn't have been happier, the beer transferred clear until it pushed CO2 and a small amount of gunk. A quick pull of the ball lock connector on the receiving keg eliminated any further sediment transfer. From there, I utilized another sanitized sankey keg as a brite tank and dosed the beer with biofine in the transfer tubing and let it sit on CO2 for week to carbonate and clear up. Last step was transferring from the brite keg into 5 gallon sixtles. I'm only using sankeys because I have access to them, but all the same steps can be performed with cornys. I need to work on transferring carbonated beer. Got more foam then I would have liked, but ultimately transferred 10 gallons of beer.

The beer is a Celebration ale clone, mine is on the right for comparison.

🍻

IMG_2050.JPG

IMG_1959.JPG

IMG_2051.JPG
IMG_2067.JPG

IMG_2143.JPG

IMG_2154.JPG

Last edited:
What is the pressure rating of the sight glass and what kind of glass is it ?

Your design is super dangerous. If you over pressure the glass chamber either from fermentor pressure or CO2 tank pressure, you'll have flying glass.

Your design is super dangerous. If you over pressure the glass chamber either from fermentor pressure or CO2 tank pressure, you'll have flying glass.
There are all stainless chambers that are cheaper without the risk.

The sightglass only gets installed during dry hopping. Before it goes onto the butterfly valve I purge any built up tank pressure. I only use 5 or less psi to purge the sightglass of co2 after filled with hops.

In-Line Sight Glass | 2 Inch Tri Clamp Type | Flow Sanitary Straight Sight Glass

According to the mfg it’s rated to 120 psi. Not that I’d ever take it anywhere near that.

Like your setup. I ferment in sankes and like using them. Great setup for your dry hops.

For transferring carbonating beer you need a spunding valve. This will provide the back pressure to prevent foamy transfers. I fill the receiving keg with CO2 that matches the pressure of the carbonated beer. I then attach my spunding valve closed to the receiving keg. Connect the beverage ball lock to the receiving keg and then slowly open the spunding valve until you hear a slight hiss. Come to think of it you really don’t need the pressure gauge as I have in the picture. You just need the valve.
9672F9C5-B83A-4123-90EA-995F7B74D55B.jpeg
and the gauge measures 1 or 2 psi lower than the carbonated beer.

Like your setup. I ferment in sankes and like using them. Great setup for your dry hops.

For transferring carbonating beer you need a spunding valve. This will provide the back pressure to prevent foamy transfers. I fill the receiving keg with CO2 that matches the pressure of the carbonated beer. I then attach my spunding valve closed to the receiving keg. Connect the beverage ball lock to the receiving keg and then slowly open the spunding valve until you hear a slight hiss. Come to think of it you really don’t need the pressure gauge as I have in the picture. You just need the valve.and the gauge measures 1 or 2 psi lower than the carbonated beer.

I learned that the hard way! I’ll be picking up one of those same duotight valves for the next batch

IMG_2743.JPG

Picked up some new ball lock fittings and Eva barrier hoses along with a blowtie prv to aid in a more seamless tranfer without any foam. This current batch is now carbonating and clearing up waiting to be transferred into smaller kegs sometime next week.

I couldn't be happier with this floating dip tube/intake screen setup. This primary transfer was clear from the beginning all the way until it started to suck CO2. The inline ball valve in the transfer hose makes quick work of stopping flow. The yeast cake remained untouched.

I really like the simplicity of these duotight fittings for quick dissembly and sanitizing. No more hose barbs and worm clamps. I've yet to adopt them into my kegerator, but that's the next plan...

Apache_Brew where did you get the floating dip tube?

I ordered it here from Aliexpress
US $11.87 5% OFF|FERMENTASAURUS GEN 1 SS FLOAT & 60CM SILICONE DIP TUBE|homebrew beer|home brewbottle filler - AliExpress Very happy with it.

I don't know if it's the same product that Morebeer sells Replacement Floating Dip Tube for FermZilla | MoreBeer would have to measure the ball diameter.

If you want to buy more silicone tube by the foot, Williams sells it here Tubing for Top Draw™ Pick Up (sold per foot) I don't think their "Top Draw" product will fit inside a sankey keg opening, I've read it's too big.

Glad to see the filter working so well, I have bought one but not used it yet. I'm on the lookout for a float that is a bit smaller than the fermentasaurus one as I have a couple of kegs that they won't fit in. I'm dry hopping closed with hop bags held out of the ferment with magnets on the side of a fermentasaurus. That's not an option with the sankey for several reasons but your solution looks good.
Another method of closed transfer to try

watch from about 4:10

However not sure how easy it is for you to have that big sankey higher than the receiving keg?

I ordered it here from Aliexpress
US $11.87 5% OFF|FERMENTASAURUS GEN 1 SS FLOAT & 60CM SILICONE DIP TUBE|homebrew beer|home brewbottle filler - AliExpress Very happy with it.

I don't know if it's the same product that Morebeer sells Replacement Floating Dip Tube for FermZilla | MoreBeer would have to measure the ball diameter.

If you want to buy more silicone tube by the foot, Williams sells it here Tubing for Top Draw™ Pick Up (sold per foot) I don't think their "Top Draw" product will fit inside a sankey keg opening, I've read it's too big.

Thanks for the link. Saw this also which should work perfect for my setup. Similar to what you made. Not quite ready for a hop depth charger yet.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/325...07#1934_668#2717#7564#651__668#3374#15176#476

I have been using the ball lock tapping head adapters linked by NTexBrewer and they seem to work fine, they aren't as tall as the sankey keg adapter with fittings on. Also no need to remove balls or valves to fill the keg and easy to clean. You can push a 5mm internal diameter stiffer plastic tube on instead of the silicone tube and then it just takes the beer from the bottom of the keg.

It's very much fire and forget I find in my routine. Just plug the tubes in and come back and all done. It's actually streamlined the process as it's unsupervised and reliable. Ironically I get the CO2 free but still like to recycle the " free " gas because it's there.

@apache_brew How much trouble is it getting the filter and float in and out of the neck of the keg?!?

Still using and happy with this setup?
No trouble at all. The diameter of the ball just needs to clear the opening. I recently ordered more floating dip tubes from the same vender and unfortunately the balls now have a ridge and doesn’t fit the diameter of the keg. I’m gonna have to find another supplier. Still very happy with it for sure.

I use CaskWidge floats in my sankey kegs. The slimline design is for UK cask bungholes, but great for sankey kegs too. They're available in the US through ukbrewing.com.

I use CaskWidge floats in my sankey kegs. The slimline design is for UK cask bungholes, but great for sankey kegs too. They're available in the US through ukbrewing.com.
I actually have a number of cask widges that I use for my cask ales… I could certainly try one of those since I have one already on hand

Back