Another question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArroganceFan

Reaction score
I am sure you guys are getting tired of my questions by now, but...

I just put my first batch into the secondary, and I have some floaties in there. Is that normal? They are small seed size white looking things...

Edit: Also on my first batch, I did not top it off to the 5 gallon mark on my bucket. One of those learn as you go mistakes. Should I top it off now or just leave it and enjoy the extra strength?

This forum is for questions man so keep asking and soon you will be the one giving advice.

And though floaties look like mold/bacterial infection they are just yeasties. By the time your beer is in secondary its full of alcohol and wont spoil unless you do something really wrong.

ArroganceFan said:
Also on my first batch, I did not top it off to the 5 gallon mark on my bucket. One of those learn as you go mistakes. Should I top it off now or just leave it and enjoy the extra strength?

I don't think it would harm anything to top it off now, if you wanted to bring the volume up.

You could also do this at bottling time, and just add some extra water with your priming sugar.

As far as "enjoying the extra strength" goes, even if you top it off, you could just adjust your intake accordingly to enjoy the extra kick . . .:cross:

I wouldn't top it up now. You've already got beer and it might be slightly stronger than you intended but not much. If you're talking .25 of a gallon or so, it really doesn't matter. It's not the risk of infection to add water to it now. If you're talking a gallon though, maybe it might take a difference. How much are you "short"?

Back