Another newb from VA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holmbrew

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I didn't realize it was a "requisite" for an introduction thread :D

I consider myself a mid-level newb now that I finally upgraded to a full boil (did partial boils on my gas stove top all last year). Still doing extract batches and still doing some NB/More Beer kits to practice. By the way, love the Pro Series kits from NB. Gives me a chance to try beers that I can't access (without trading) and for the time being, I'm ok following other recipes. And yes, I still bottle.

My favorite clone recipe so far is Gumballhead. In fact, I need to try it again on my new set up - by the way, I have a newb related question regarding my set up. I will probably start another thread for that.

If you actually read my post, I thank you kindly for your time.

Cheers,

Holmbrew

And yes, I still bottle.

There is nothing wrong with this. I bottle and don't have any plans for kegging. I always have more variety available than if I was rotating a few kegs at a time.

You might try a partial mash or two. It's an easy way to learn the ins and outs of all grain brewing without any real risk. I often do partial mash beers anyway for simplicity.

So what do you have for your new setup?

Got a 10 gallon Boilermaker with 3-piece valve and Top Tier burner. I've been reading about whirlpooling and siphoning instead of draining the wort, which makes me think that the dip tube and valve may not end up being used ... still debating on that.

I'm hoping my next upgrade will be temp control, most likely with a chest freezer. Baby steps.

There is nothing wrong with this. I bottle and don't have any plans for kegging. I always have more variety available than if I was rotating a few kegs at a time.

You might try a partial mash or two. It's an easy way to learn the ins and outs of all grain brewing without any real risk. I often do partial mash beers anyway for simplicity.

Good to hear that. And yes, I have gone the partial mash route before. Not sure how it will work now that I won't have other burners handy. I used to have two pots going at the same time ...

Back