Another new member from Chicagoland — Far West Burbs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craiginthecorn

Reaction score
Hi all. Another member from the Chicago area. I’m far west of Chicago and just west of Aurora. After trying a couple different clubs, I’m joining the Wingnut Brewing Club as of tomorrow.

I’ve been brewing on and off since the mid-1980s after having discovered the wonders of great beer while on a trip to England, Belgium, and Germany. At that time, all imports were stale and skunky and the best domestic beers were Michelob and Special Export. My first attempts were awful, but I kept at it and was brewing all-grain by the time I stopped brewing in the mid- to late-1990s. It just seemed fruitless to make so-so beer when the craft movement was getting going. Fast forward to 2018 and I started tasting some outstanding homebrew. It reignited my urge to brew, so I jumped back in with both feet.

It’s another world from 1995! EVERYTHING is better and more plentiful. Malts, hops, yeast, information, equipment, and probably more than anything else...StarSan! Literally EVERY beer I’ve made since re-starting has been miles and miles better than anything I ever made in the past and none would have been disappointments if I’d gotten them at a local brewery. This includes several IPAs, saison, gose, an apricot sour, marzen, smoked stout, schwarzbier, and even cider. Sure, I’m not 100% satisfied with any of them, but I sure enjoyed them!

I’m presently an all-grain brewer using a 240V Grainfather and mostly keg. If I had it to do all over again, I think I’d do brew in a bag instead.

Welcome from Missouri, neighbor. Sounds like you're light years ahead of me. Started a couple years ago when I retired. Great hobby. Hooked for life! Cheers.

Welcome from a fellow west-burbian!

I thought grainfather was biab too? Or does it use a screen instead of a bag? I think it's the same general concept, single vessel brewing by withdrawing the grain after mashing. IMHO, and I'm biased, BIAB is the best way to get into AG brewing. Someday I'll probably step up to a 3-vessel system but for now, BIAB has been awesome.

Welcome from a fellow west-burbian!

I thought grainfather was biab too? Or does it use a screen instead of a bag? I think it's the same general concept, single vessel brewing by withdrawing the grain after mashing.
I see your point, but no, it’s not designed as a BIAB system, although you can buy bags made specifically for that purpose. I might try that. BIAB has the advantage of being virtually immune to a stuck sparge, a bit easier to clean, and being able to use a finer crush. Still, there’s nothing wrong with the Grainfather’s design, which uses a stainless inner vessel with a removable perforated bottom plate.

Back