Another new guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gladius270

Reaction score
Hey all, I just ordered my equipment a couple of hours ago. I've been contemplating getting into home brewing for a while, so I've done some reading. Going to be making an American Pale Ale from an extract kit for my first batch. I'm hoping it all comes by Thursday or so, so I can get this going this weekend. Any tips or suggestions for someone starting a first batch ever are appreciated!

gladius270 said:
Hey all, I just ordered my equipment a couple of hours ago. I've been contemplating getting into home brewing for a while, so I've done some reading. Going to be making an American Pale Ale from an extract kit for my first batch. I'm hoping it all comes by Thursday or so, so I can get this going this weekend. Any tips or suggestions for someone starting a first batch ever are appreciated!

You will soon be brewing beer. That is the first step...congratulations! My suggestion: buy more kits so you won't be out of beer when the first batch is gone;)

Hello, and Welcome. A first and very easy tip to follow is: Sanitation. Get yourself some Star-San or Iodophor BTF sanitizer and make up a sanitation bucket to soak brew implements in. Be sure to ask any questions you may have on brew day, and of course, let us know how it turns out. There is NO feeling like that of tasting your first home brewed beer. It'll change your life! In a great way! Stick around, there are wonderful people to meet here, and enough collective knowledge to take care of your most challenging issues. Cheers on your first batch!

I purchased the Brewer's Best Basic Equipment Kit, and it comes with a no-rinse sanitizer. I'm assuming that this will work for sanitizing my instruments.

Any inputs on extract kits is appreciated. I'm already considering what I should make for my second batch. I've been into IPA's lately (actually got my hands on some Hopslam last week), but I'm looking for a little change of pace. The RyePA on Midwest Brewing has caught my interest. However, I wouldn't be opposed to a wheat beer.

The no-rinse will be fine. Star-san is awesome when you need to restock.

If you're asking me, get the rye kit. I love rye beers. That said, I like wheat beers too so get the wheat.

My tip from my first batch: Just because you're brewing a 5 gallon batch doesn't mean it will ferment in a 5 gallon carboy! I had to clean the closet after the 4th or 5th day when it shot out the top!

General tips:
Use a blow off hose until the primary settles a bit. I just went to the local hardware store and picked up about 3 feet of 2.5" vinyl tubing (or what ever will fit in the top of your 6.5 gal carboy).

Keep the heat low when mixing in your extract, you don't want it to scorch on the bottom of your kettle. After you are done stirring it in, you can turn the heat back up.

Tap water is not sanitized. Microbes still live in it, but our stomachs make short work of them. Tasty sugars in the beer, don't. If you're using tap water for brewing, make sure any you add to the fermenter has reached 190F to kill anything off. Boiling point for water at 1 atmosphere is 212F, so if it's in your kettle, you're fine. Fun fact, boiling on Mt. Everest is 156F and 190F at 11,000".

Last quick tip: lschiavo said it best:
...My suggestion: buy more kits so you won't be out of beer when the first batch is gone;)

Back