Another new guy from Georgia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesKelley

Reaction score
Greetings, all.

I am not entirely new to brewing, although I am not very experienced, either. I first tried brewing about 10 years ago when I got a home brew kit from my wife for Christmas. I brewed some beer, I made some wine, and I enjoyed it. But then life got busy and the whole shebang sat in the basement for 10 years.

Life has taken a hard turn for me lately. In an attempt to distract myself I have taken up beer making again. My brother and I are brewing up a batch of what will hopefully be a Trappist style ale. It is a kit, but the wort smelled pretty good. We boiled it, cooled it, and pitched the White Labs yeast yesterday. Now I'm trying not to obsess over whether it is fermenting or not. Having read some posts I see that I should have made a starter, but I learned that a little too late. The next time I won't assume that "pitchable" on a label really means that.

Oh, well. I will just relax. If I had a homebrew I would drink it. But I will have to content myself with store bought beer for a few more weeks.

Hey CharlesKelly...re-welcome to the obession. I did a Belgian trippel recently and it didnt come out so good. It was from a kit and came with one small package of dry yeast which from what i am reading (mostly from this forum) is not enough for it to properly ferment so it never finished and came out flat. i made a lot of mistakes with that one but now I know the next one will be a lot better. BTW I use to live in Cumming and managed a marine store in Gainsville a few years ago.

Joey, I'm in Gainesville, GA. It is about 60 miles northeast of Atlanta up interstates 85 and then 985. I've been through Warner Robins a few times, although I've never stayed there

Hoppy, how does one manage to get from Cumming GA to Elyria OH?

Gainsville huh? U must go to the cabage patch nursery all the time....I keed gainsville is a cool town I use to live in blairsville just on the other side of blood mountains

Joey, my kids are boys. I've never set foot in the Cabbage Patch Nursery. There is not much there to attract a 15 year old or a 16 year old boy (or their father).

Blairsville is pretty nice. If I may ask, why in the world would you move from the mountains to below the gnat line?

Lucky u on the cabage patch factory I had 2 little girls so I'm there every now and again.
I went to high school in blairsville then joined the military in 02 so I moved from ga to tx then stationed in new Mexico for a bit then Alaska for 4 years. When I got out of the air force in 08 my job landed me in warner robins also I'm only 28 and not ready for a small town for propaly another decade

I am from Elyria originally and when West Marine had an opening in the Cleveland area I took it. Loved boating on Lake Lanier though!

JoeyChopps said:
Lucky u on the cabage patch factory I had 2 little girls so I'm there every now and again.
I went to high school in blairsville then joined the military in 02 so I moved from ga to tx then stationed in new Mexico for a bit then Alaska for 4 years. When I got out of the air force in 08 my job landed me in warner robins also I'm only 28 and not ready for a small town for propaly another decade

I "have" 2 little girls. Sounds weird the other way

Welcome Joey! I live in Dallas, GA (near Marietta). I moved here 10 years ago from Wasilla, Alaska. I started brewing in 2008 and it is an obsession for me. I started with a Basic starter kit and abstract brewing. A fews later and now I just got done welding my Brutus 10 clone and piecing together my Electric Herms system :rockin:

The lake is great, but how'd you take beer? Glass and boats don't mix really well in my experience.

I always stick a Cornelius keg in the cuddy cabin...not too sure if that is legal or not. But on my birthday last year we had a keg of IPA and a Keg of Apfelwein. :)

Back