Another Milestone in my Life!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subsailor

Life is Tough, Stupid makes it Tougher
Reaction score
I retired from the Submarine Service in 1995.
I celebrated my 55th Birthday today.
Monday June 30th, I retire the State of Alaska Court System.
July 25th we begin our move to Arizona.

I will be collecting 2 pensions, I'm only 55, a 70% Disabled Vet and now I am trying to figure out what to do next. We have to move to help out my Wife's parents. For the first year or 2, I don't plan on trying too hard to get into anything other than setting up our new home in the States and getting totally settled in. Of course, we have to buy a place yet but that will come.

Anyway, I just wanted to kind of celibrate another big step in my Life!

:mug:Cheers HBT!

Congats Bro! Take some time for yourself, you have certainly more than earned it. Best of luck in whatever new endeavor you may wish to pursue, I think AZ may just have a new brewpub with your name over the door someday soon if there's any justice left in this world.

:mug:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUBSAILOR!
And congratulations on your retirement! Good thing you have so many hobbies to keep you from getting bored. AK to AZ is a BIG move, I don't envy you on that one. I used to live in AZ & mostly I don't miss it, but every once in a while, I do miss certain things. Like walking through the desert at night during a full moon, the smell of rain on the sage, and the sound of cactus wrens.

I hope your move goes as smoothly as it can & you get settled & acclimated quickly. Just keep your eye out for snakes, scorpions & black widows; they can ruin a perfectly good day. Rattlesnake is pretty tasty though. ;)
Regards, GF.

Congratulations!! Big moves upon retirement make for an exciting time.

I retired early and moved from a crowded Chicago suburb to the middle of nowhere in West Virginia and love every minute of it. The only drawbacks to retirement are the lack of paid holidays and vacation time.

Thanks All!

We are looking to stay at higher elevations. At least it's a Dry Cold here in AK.

The 70% disability is due to several back injuries and 5 surgeries so far, but they have given me full use of my arms and legs. Although I don't have much sensitivity in them - can't quite feel what I'm touching or don't notice if I burn or cut myself. I get around pretty dang good, I definitely do not let it limit me in my activities (mostly).

I think the thing I'm going to miss the most is my permanent free hunting and fishing license up here. Gonna have to start buying my hunting and fishing licenses in AZ.

I've eaten rattlesnake GF and I have to agree it is pretty good. Not too worried about snakes, scorpions and spiders and such, heck, I got stuck raising my oldest daughter's tarantula when she left for the Marines. Truth told, I was the only one that spider would let mess with it. My poor Wife is deathly afraid of snakes, can't even watch them on TV.

Back