Another lager thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
Im thinking about attempting a lager again. I don't have a dedicated fridge where I can adjust temps in for lagering. I'm think of getting a swamp bucket and attaching a inlet and outlet hose to. Put my fermenter in there put the hose to my laundry sink tap, outlet into the drain so I have a steady stream of cold water. Ground water is at about 6-7* Celsius right now. Would this be ok for primary fermentation?

When I secondary I'll split into 2 3 gallon carboys and store in my kitchen refrigerator for 3-4 months. This a good idea?

You're going to run cold through the bucket continuously for 4 weeks? Might want to do the water bill math first. I'd get 4 water bottles 2L of so. Change out one pair for a frozen pair each day to keep temps down.

It might work. You're likely going to run into 2 issues. First, using this method odds are you are going to need to up the temp after about 2 weeks +/- to about 21C to do a diacetyl rest. Then you are going need to drop the temp slowly back down to lager temps by a couple of degrees each day. This is tough to do without temp control. Also, you're fridge probably doesn't get down to 0C-2C for lagering, but it's not the end of the world.

I would suggest cold pitching your yeast when your wort is around 7C and just put it in the refrigerator at one of the warmest settings. Most refrigerators aren't going to get above 7C or 8C at the warmest. This way you don't have to do a diacetyl rest. Since you are fermenting at a somewhat cold temp, you will probably need to leave the beer in the fridge for a few months. If you want, you could drop the temp in the fridge to the coldest setting after a month. Use a lot of yeast and aerate really well. Personally I would probably use something Saflager S-23 since it seems to be pretty tolerant to a wide range of temperatures, and it's cheap, just in case things go wrong. Use at least two packs.

william_shakes_beer said:
You're going to run cold through the bucket continuously for 4 weeks? Might want to do the water bill math first. I'd get 4 water bottles 2L of so. Change out one pair for a frozen pair each day to keep temps down.

We don't get billed for water, there's an abundance of it around here. We just pay a flat rate annual fee.

JJL said:
It might work. You're likely going to run into 2 issues. First, using this method odds are you are going to need to up the temp after about 2 weeks +/- to about 21C to do a diacetyl rest. Then you are going need to drop the temp slowly back down to lager temps by a couple of degrees each day. This is tough to do without temp control. Also, you're fridge probably doesn't get down to 0C-2C for lagering, but it's not the end of the world.

I would suggest cold pitching your yeast when your wort is around 7C and just put it in the refrigerator at one of the warmest settings. Most refrigerators aren't going to get above 7C or 8C at the warmest. This way you don't have to do a diacetyl rest. Since you are fermenting at a somewhat cold temp, you will probably need to leave the beer in the fridge for a few months. If you want, you could drop the temp in the fridge to the coldest setting after a month. Use a lot of yeast and aerate really well. Personally I would probably use something Saflager S-23 since it seems to be pretty tolerant to a wide range of temperatures, and it's cheap, just in case things go wrong. Use at least two packs.

Thanks maybe I'll do that, I guess I'll brew my normal 5 gallon batch and split it into 2 3 gallon carboys for fermenting. I wanted the bucket method to primary because I don't have room in fridge for a big fermenter, but I could fit a couple 3 gallon carboys in there for lagering in secondary.

Anyone just do a long primary for lagers? Rather than a secondary?

Anyone just do a long primary for lagers? Rather than a secondary?

I do it for ales, but for lagers I prefer a vessel that is more air tight than a bucket. You might be able to get away with it. If I were in your situation, I think I'd just go with what I've got for equipment and see what happens.

I think I'd be better off to primary in a swamp bucket, I'll test with water first but I'm pretty sure I could hold a constant 7-8*c with my ground water.

Back