Another Kegging Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kplum

Reaction score
Alright here is the deal..

I just bought a chest freezer off of CL.. I am very budget minded, I just want the biggest bang for my buck.. Has anyone started off with

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brew-logic-dual-tap-draft-system-with-reconditioned-co2-tank.html

I think it may be a good way to get some stuff that I need right off.. I do want to buy the shanks and faucets seperate..

Just not sure if people usually buy a kit, or just get pieces as they need them.. Thanks for the help..

I originally got a single keg and regulator. Later, I got a second keg and a splitter, so two kegs can run off one regulator. Basically the same as that system but with only one gauge. Works great, I just disconnect a keg if it's empty, and I've had no issues.

If you have a chest freezer my guess is that a 5 pound gas tank will not be sufficient.

If I were starting over I would:

• Check the local CL for gas and corny tanks.
  • Buy fittings, hoses and regulators from thebeveragecompany.com.

For an initial investment your local AirGas outlet will "rent" you a 10 or 20 pound gas tank. Then you just have them refill it for $10-$15 every 30-40 kegs or so.

5 pounds will exhaust pretty quickly if (when) you get up to 4 or more kegs on tap.

I wouldn't bother getting the co2 tank. Get one at the welding supply and you won't have to pay shipping. If you get a larger tank, you will save losta $ every time you exchange it.

I never thought about that.. I dont have a co2 tank yet.. I will check that out today.

I never thought about that.. I dont have a co2 tank yet.. I will check that out today.

Yup, and if you live in the boonies, there's no place that will fill them. Imagine my shock and horror as I traded my brand new aluminum tank to a welding shop for an old rusty steel one.:(

I use a 5 gal tank that I have hooked up to a dual regulator inside my 15' keezer. Also have used this arrangement with my 7' lager keezer. In the larger keezer each line of the dual line regulator is hooked up to a 3 way manifold/splitter so that I can vary the PSI on 3 of the bottles at a time (I can actually store 7-8 bottles but only want 6 on gas at a time). The 5 gal tank fits on the hump of my keezer and I can close it with the tank inside. The key to this setup is having a backup 5 gal tank that you can swap in when the 5 gal servicing the keezer runs out. I have the backup tank outside hooked up to a single line regulator with a splitter and I use this backup tank to clean the tap line on corny's I am cleaning (Star San) and to pressurize corny's that will stay in either the larger/smaller lager fridge until space opens up in the larger keezer. I find that I can go for quite a while on a single 5 gal tank in the larger keezer before I need to swap out. You need the backup tank in this arrangement because you will go to pull a growler on a Sat. night and the tank will of course be dead. Perhaps not the most economical setup in that you own 2 tanks but provides peace of mind knowing that I will never be left hanging when I go to draw beer and I don't have to drive the 15-20 minutes to the LHBS to swap out tanks until Mon. when I can tie it in with other driving. Montanaandy

Back