Another kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

Reaction score
Ok, I have read some of the threads on Kegging and dont think I found the answer. I have a converted mini frige i'm using for 2 corneys. I bought a used 7 cu ft chest freezer to use as a brew chamber. Goal is to have 2 on tap, and 1-2 conditioning/carbing waiting for an empty slot in the fridge.

So in order to Carb the waiting in line kegs filed with fermented beer, will I need to buy another co2 bottle and guages, or can I just attach my existing co2 bottle, pump some co2 into a filled corney, unattach from co2, and let the corneys sit back in the freezer/brew chamber while they carb ??

Thanks for any help

From what I've gathered over the past month readings you'll need to keep the keg hooked up to gas for the entire carb time until it's where you want it. Then you can disconnect and hookup another keg to carb.

So if you have two fridges/freezers you'll need to get the gas line from one to the other or just buy another tank/reg setup for carbing.

the level of CO2 you want to obtain in the finished beer requires a sustained pressure on the keg, and the pressure is dependent on the temp.

Example.... If I want to carb up a pale ale that is at serving temps, I have to connect the gas and set it to about 11psi and wait for it to carb (with the gas still connected).

To carb that same beer at room temp, I would have to connected the gas to the keg (and leave it connected) at closer to 30psi.

If you want to force carb a keg from the same tank that you are using to serve other kegs, you will need to have the kegs all cold or get a dual regulator so that you can set different pressures.

Or... you can always prime your room temp kegs with sugar and let them carb that way and save the tank for serving the already-carbed kegs.

Back