Another Keezer Build, yay.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffersonStateBrewing

Reaction score
My first build, so it is less than fantastic but will work for my needs, until it doesn't. I am already planning to build a twin to this unit but that will be a little ways down the road.

I started with a Frigidaire 14.7c.f. Freezer. I wanted 10 taps, just because, well, why not?

So I started this build a few months ago. I built a base that was 8 inches high with casters built in so I could move the thing if necessary once loaded. I took pictures but now I cannot find them. You will see pics of the base in the coming photos.

Everything is 8/4 Alder. I picked it up at the local hardwood supply store when lumber prices were out of hand. Because the hardwood supply sells their lumber based on the price they paid, the 8/4 Alder was actually cheaper by far than the big box store for 2x8 dimensional lumber. I bought Alder because it was cheap and in stock. The twin to this unit will be made from a harder hard wood, oak, poplar, maple, anything but Alder. Although it is nice, it is extremely soft.

Then right after I got the base finished and got the freezer onto the base I got called to go to work out of town with no break to come home. That took 7 weeks right out of the center of my project. Once home I had to play catchup for a couple weeks before I could continue on the keezer build.

I spent a couple weeks ordering misc parts for my brewing operation, as well as a bunch of not inexpensive parts for the keezer. Included in my shopping spree are:

10 stainless 3 inch shanks with associated hardware
10 Nukataps with self closing springs
30 beer nut - ball lock adapters
30 gas/beer stainless torpedo ball lock disconnects
8 6-gallon torpedo kegs
2 2.5-gallon torpedo kegs
A couple gas manifolds with gauges.

I still need to order beer and gas line, flare fittings for the beer and gas lines, 3 bulkhead fittings, and I am sure a mess of other parts.

I stared my collar build. Milled the lumber, glued and screwed it all together. And started fixing and filling screw holes and other imperfections.

20210918_162354.jpg

Last edited:
The collar is 6 inches tall. I was not entirely certain about tap locations or spacing of the taps or hole sizes and the like until the taps I ordered showed up. It would have certainly been a heck of a lot easier to drill holes in the face board before I screwed it all together but I got impatient.

Once the shanks arrived I was able to lay out the hole config. And started drilling holes. I drilled 40 mm counter bore holes to recess the shank nut about half an inch, and 23 mm through holes for the shanks. I bought 3 inch shanks so i needed to recess the shank nut to make everything fit in as tight a space as possible. The collar is about 1 3/4 thick and without recessing the nut there wouldn't be enough thread for the beer nut - ball lock adapter.

20211001_171223.jpg

After drilling all the holes I again filled some imperfections
20211002_163512.jpg

And got it set up on sticks so I could prime it.

20211002_213955.jpg

And then block sand it to get it nearly perfect for paint

20211003_093148.jpg

I ended up priming and blocking it 4 times. I don't know what the problem was, wether it was too cold or I was too tired or what, but I ran the primer. As hard as that is to do, I did it, it was easy to sand, it's primer and that is what it is for.

20211005_053707.jpg

Once priming and blocking was done I sprayed base coat. I also ran the base coat. Waited for it to flash off and sanded my runs out. Once the runs were out I again sprayed base. It stated to look pretty good. After base flashed, I sprayed down some clear coat. Guess what? I ran the ever living crap out of the clear. In ran the clear so bad it dripped on the work bench and left a cool little outline.

20211007_165046.jpg

After it dried overnight I sanded the runs and polished up the clear. I think it came out looking pretty good.

The next day I removed the freezer lid in preparation to install the collar. I set the collar in the freezer and immediately noticed that the location I chose to drill holes for he 3 bulkhead fittings and the temp probe through hole was in error. The temp probe hole and the right/outter most hole are in the exact location where the hinge is supposed to go. Whoops!

20211007_101135.jpg

Otherwise it looks pretty good and I can likely work around the hinge issue by removing the hinge to install the bulkhead and maybe a little trim.

20211007_101124.jpg

All is sitting pretty. I just need to set the lid on and mark the hinge holes.

Guess what! The lid doesn't fit the collar! If you notice in the above pictures there is a bevel on the freezer that is there to accommodate a matching bevel on the lid. I noticed the bevel on the freezer body, but didn't take note that there was a matching bevel on the lid. So the lid will not close. Big whoops!

Last edited:
Now what? The collar is built and the bevel needing to be in collar is about an inch deep. Can't exactly router that out. I mean you probably could but I don't have the propper tools to do that. So I made a guide plate to screw to my skill saw to make a 45° cut on the inside of the collar. It was not a perfect cut but I think when all is said and done it so be good enough.

20211007_165041.jpg

I stared the filling process where I got a little wonky with the saw.

20211008_233856.jpg

The one bulkhead and temp probe through holes were filled with poplar scraps, and I will be working on filling those imperfections. I also drilled a new bulkhead through hole and will be drilling two new temp probe size holes, one for the temp probe and one for a 12v power supply wire to run a PC case fan for ambient air circulating.

20211008_233907.jpg

I also sanded everything back to primer since I will need to repaint it again in its entirety.

This is where I am today. There will likely be no progress on this in the next few days as I am tending to family duties.

Last edited:
Very little progress last few days. I filled the imperfections where the bulkhead fitting repair took place. Drilled 3 new 3/8 holes for temp probe and pc fan power wires. I drilled the 3rd hole just to have an extra if necessary.

20211011_145740.jpg

I primed and block sanded this thing 3 more times because of the top inside bevel. I went a little OCD trying to get the corners perfect.

20211012_134010.jpg

The black in the corners is guide coat showing low spots. I finally sanded the corners down and added more filler and uses a chisel and razor blade to get them as close to perfect as I could. And then I realized I was being OCD and quit while I was ahead.

I still need to do one last block sand before I apply color.

Last edited:
I really enjoy reading these types of posts. Its looking great so far. Looking forward to watching it progress into a fully functional keezer!

I am looking forward to getting it done. I have been working too long on this. I am really just trying to get it done so it takes up less shop space. I dunno if you notice but my shop is a full blown cluster at the moment (always really). Once I get this at least assembled I can move on to the brew stand. I don't even have beer to put on said kegerator yet.

Latest posts

Back