Another "is my scoby okay" questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjphoto

Reaction score
Hi team,

New to kombucha.. just wondering if my scoby is okay? I'm used to brewing beer and if something looking like this showed up in my beer id be very concerned

Basically the large brown bit had grown from the smaller more triangle bit... The different colors concerned me have
20180714_110408.jpg

Looks normal to me. I've had my SCOBY for 3 years and nothing in this picture stands out as being abnormal. The important thing to consider is that the top is exposed to air and will dry a bit more than the submerged portion, giving it a bit of discoloration.

Looks normal to me, as well. I’ve seen varying coloration from creamy tan or near white, to orangey brown, and a bunch in between. It could be effected by temperature, different amounts or brands of tea, or a host of other factors. As long as you don’t see mold, or bright scary colors, it should be fine.

Latest posts

Back