another insect problem - help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gridlocked

Reaction score
I'm sorry to have to ask, but I need some help. I searched and searched at work today and I could not find a problem close enough to mine to determine a way to try to fix it. Lots of pics of the problem(s) below. This problem is not isolated to the hops. The radish and kohlrabi leaves have holes too and I think I found the culprit on the kohlrabi (bottom/last pic).

Problem 1: Many of the older leaves have started to turn yellow and brown. We've had strong winds a few times this summer- could this be wind damage?

Problem 2: Lots of the leaves have random holes all over them. Most of the leaves only have a few holes in them and are maybe 10-20% eaten.

I don't see caterpillars, webs, multiple bugs, worms. The bugs I did find, there was only one of each. I'm at a loss.

2011-07-07174135.jpg

2011-07-07175102.jpg

2011-07-07174148.jpg

2011-07-07175229.jpg

2011-07-07180815.jpg

I started looking under leaves and most with the holes do not have any bugs on them. A few, however, had a couple. This pic didn't turn out but it was a small, light brown colored bug.
2011-07-07174245.jpg

This one has a light-green colored little bug just under the brown spot on the leaf.
2011-07-07174216.jpg

and I found this on one of them so I pulled it.
2011-07-07175210.jpg

I did find a few of of these. They are white, about the size of a grain of salt and dangling from the leaf.
2011-07-07181518.jpg

As long as the plants generally look healthy I wouldn't bother with them. The lower leaves on mine have been turning brown and withering up for as long as I can remember. It's just 'old age'. The few bugs that you've found don't seem to be causing enough damage to harm the plants. One that can do a lot of damage is the European Corn Borer. About 10 years ago I noticed when I took my poles down to pick that the hops weren't right. They should have been firm and slightly crispy but they were really limp. I noticed bore holes along the vines and when I split them open found tunnels from the larvae. It took me and the local cooperative extension agent about 4 years to identify the pest. Solution: Don't expect a good crop when the local farmer's rotation calls for corn for that year. You should be fine with your situation though.

Hello....I would guess that locust/grass hoppers are eating your leaves...additionally, I would make sure that you dont water during the day, any moisture can burn the leaves and turn them yellow/brown.
I would recommend spraying your plants with Neem Oil, nothing likes it and it's all natural!

If hops are like some other plants they may just let the lower leaves die off while focusing their energy on more important things, especially if the lower leaves are in the shade much of the time.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate you taking the time to help! I don't remember my leaves turning yellow/brown last year but it is generally the older leaves and they have been a bit beaten up with the wind we've had this summer. I only water in the evenings and water the ground around the plants directly - the leaves only see water when it's raining. A few of the leaves (the one that shows the tiny green bug) aren't all that old - they are maybe 4-5 leaves in from the end of the plant (15' "tall).

The holes in the leaves thing still has me curious though. Unless they are coming out at night, I've only seen ONE grasshopper this summer and I've been mowing my lawn about once a week. I'll continue to keep an eye for critters.

Thank you!!!

Latest posts

Back