Another forgetful dumb@ss, ID Hops Based on Leaf Shape

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

$bill

Reaction score
The forgetful dumb@ss would be me.

I haven't brewed for about four years now, but I planted some hops in 5-gallon buckets back in the day. After a couple of years, the labels which came with the rhizomes were sun-faded and impossible to read, and the identities of the plants I had long since forgotten (I was certain I would remember). To complicate matters, a couple of the hops died after suffering too much neglect.

Happily, I did take some pictures when the rhizomes first sprouted, so I'm somewhat confident that I can ID based on the leaves (yes, I've searched, I know it is an imperfect method of identification). I know what I bought, so that does narrow it down quite a bit. I bought Zeus, Golding, and Magnum. I had thought the Zeus died, until I started looking at pictures of leaves, then I wasn't so sure. Pictures are below, if you care to contribute your two cents, but I'm wondering about the hop tea method for evaluating AA content. I have a french press; does one simply dump in some cones and add hot water? Or, do you crush the cones? Dry them first? Any tips for success would be greatly appreciated.

Now for the pics.

Hops%25205-6-2010%2520005.jpg

Young Zeus, five lobes on the leaves, more or less.

IMG_2385.jpg

Possible Zeus, on the basis of the five-lobed leaves.

Hops%25205-6-2010%2520007.jpg

Young Goldings. One lobe, more or less.

IMG_2371.jpg

Mystery plant. I was thinking Goldings, until...

IMG_2381.jpg

I was thinking Goldings, when it first started sprouting (pictured right above). But the more mature leaves sure look like Magnum to me.

IMG_2383.jpg

Another image, what I had suspected was Goldings. But now I am thinking Magnum. Figured the hop tea trick might clinch it.

Hops%25205-6-2010%2520004.jpg

Young Magnum, with three-lobed leaves, more or less.

I'll thank you all in advance for any helpful light you can shed on this.

Come on, 100+ views and no one can post a picture of mature Zeus/Magnum/Goldings leaves?

Yes the plants in the pictures appear to be of the Humulus lupulus L. Family. Identifying one of the plants in the family based on the leaf shape is not easy and is probably why none of the 100+ people who have viewed have responded. Plus you seem to be pretty certain,based on on your research and knowledge, of what plants are what.

I say make a hop tea or just brew a smash with each one. Why keep "guessing" based on leaf shape when you could know for sure by tasting?

You might also get a better guess when cones form.

I will try and get a pic of my Zeus hops from last year when I get to my computer. Are these this year? Mine Zeus and cascade haven't even broken ground.

I will try and get a pic of my Zeus hops from last year when I get to my computer. Are these this year? Mine Zeus and cascade haven't even broken ground.

Some of the pics go back to 2010 when the rhizomes were purchased, but all of the hops are above ground now, probably because we had a warm winter here (SoCal). No pics from this year.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Many breweries don't reveal their recipies, why not you?
Q: "That's delicious, what hops did you use?"
A: "Sorry, I can't tell you. No, really, I can't tell you, but I can brew it again."

Back