Another dumb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugerBrew

Reaction score
What would happen to a Pale Ale if it were left in the fermenter for SIX WEEKS?

That's it - told ya it was a dumb question

Regards
RugerBrew

It is probably bad. Bottle it and send it to me for disposal. :tank:

One of the things I like about a good pale ale is the aroma of the hops without the bitterness of the IPA. The problem I have is that my pale ales sit in the bottle too long and begin to lose the aroma. That will happen if you leave the beer in the fermenter too unless you do the dry hop immediately before bottling (3 to 7 days). The other item that I noticed was that more of the yeast dropped out so the while I had plenty for carbonating the beer, there was very little in the bottom of the bottle. I thought that was a good thing.

I just did exactly that. Tasted great going into the bottling bucket. Now I have a coupe of weeks to wait before drinking ......... I'll sneak a couple of bottles after a week (just to check it is going Ok - for Science!).

I just did exactly that. Tasted great going into the bottling bucket. Now I have a coupe of weeks to wait before drinking ......... I'll sneak a couple of bottles after a week (just to check it is going Ok - for Science!).

I wouldn't wait the 2 weeks. Most of us bottle and then wait the 3 weeks for the beer to "mature" but yours probably matured in the fermenter. Give one a try at about 4 days after bottling and see how it tastes. It will probably taste a bit better at 2 weeks but I'm not sure it will be substantially better.

I wouldn't wait the 2 weeks. Most of us bottle and then wait the 3 weeks for the beer to "mature" but yours probably matured in the fermenter. Give one a try at about 4 days after bottling and see how it tastes. It will probably taste a bit better at 2 weeks but I'm not sure it will be substantially better.

Had a couple of Bombers this evening (7 days in the bottle), carb'd fine, tasted great.

one of the things i like about a good pale ale is the aroma of the hops without the bitterness of the ipa. The problem i have is that my pale ales sit in the bottle too long and begin to lose the aroma. That will happen if you leave the beer in the fermenter too unless you do the dry hop immediately before bottling (3 to 7 days). the other item that i noticed was that more of the yeast dropped out so the while i had plenty for carbonating the beer, there was very little in the bottom of the bottle. I thought that was a good thing.

+1

Back