another dry yeast problwm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelgbot

Reaction score
So last night we brewed a batch of dunklewiezen.. The recipe that I bought with came with a pacet of dry yeast. The directions called for heating up too 100 degrees in one cup of water. So I pitched the yeast and stirred it popped the top to the fermentater on. I saw no bubbling in the aerator last night or this morning before work.. If I over heated the yeast could I have killed the active ingredients in the yeast? Maybe I have an aerator issue?now if their is no action in my aerator by the time I get home would it be a bad idea to pitch some more yeast? Is my wort still ok or is all lost ?? Any feedback would be life saving...CHEERS!

What was the temp of the wort you pitched it into? The yeast may've gotten stressed from the temp difference. On the flip side,fermentation can take 72 hours to get started. Give it more time,& see if it takes off.

What directions were these? Is this 100 celsius or fahrenheit? 100F may kill it, 100C will definitely kill it. If it was celsius then the directions probably said to boil the water, then chill it before adding the yeast, to rehydrate.

Pitch more yeast when you get home, but just sprinkle the dry packet in.

If you hydrated the yeast in 100F water then you didn't kill the yeast. IIRC it needs to be up around 120F, maybe higher to kill it. If you don't have activity (you should see krausen in 72 hours or less) then you can start thinking about an alternate plan. Cheers!!!

That's why I re-hydrate at pitch temps. Little stress on the yeast that way,& it takes off quicker. Just give it a day to see if it takes off. You could gently swirl the FV ti get it back into suspension if it's settling out.

100 degrees Fahrenheit does not hurt your yeast .

You just made a mistake and that is "Stirring" .

By Rehydrating dry yeast , you sprinkle the dry yeast on 10 times its weight of sterile water or Wort and then you should NOT stir it and should WAIT for 15-30 minutes until the expected weight of dry yeast is reconstituted into cream . Then after a gentle stirring , you can pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel . ( Take care of the temp. difference )

If you already aerated the Wort well and the Wort temperature is within the range of the yeast fermentation temperature , then you are O.K.

That will probably lead to a longer Lag time .

The Lag time by my batches is always less than 10 Hours . I made the same mistake once as you did and the fermentation took 24 Hours to start !

Hector

If you hydrated the yeast in 100F water then you didn't kill the yeast. IIRC it needs to be up around 120F, maybe higher to kill it. If you don't have activity (you should see krausen in 72 hours or less) then you can start thinking about an alternate plan. Cheers!!!
+1 to this. Several dry yeast manufacturers recommend rehydrating in water at or close to 100°F - if that was the temperature, you didn't kill it. 100°C would have killed it though.

I'd give it 48-72 hours before you think about pitching more yeast. Even then, take a gravity reading before you pitch more yeast to make sure that fermentation is not actually taking place. No bubbles in your airlock does not mean no fermentation.

It is too soon to even begin to worry....after 72 hours is when you take a gravity reading and see what's going on. It's quite common for yeast to take 2-3 days to get going, it's called lag time.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/, and by visible signs we don't necessarily mean a bubbling airlock. it means gravity reading

It IS a sticky at the top of the beginners forum for a reason, afterall. ;)

"Activity is irrevelent." Just gravity points on a hydrometer.
Airlock bubbling (or lack) and fermentation are not the same thing. You have to separate that from your mindset. Airlock bubbling can be a sign of fermentation, but not a good one, because the airlock will often blip or not blip for various other reasons...so it is a tenuous connection at best.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that any-thing's wrong,, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working diligently away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years.

The most important tool you can use is a hydrometer. It's the only way you will truly know when your beer is ready...airlock bubbles and other things are faulty.

Ah, I have never heard to rehydrate at 100 degrees before. Going on 4 years brewing, still learning something new every day.

Ah, I have never heard to rehydrate at 100 degrees before. Going on 4 years brewing, still learning something new every day.

From "Rehydrating Dry Yeast with Dr. Clayton Cone"

Every strain of yeast has its own optimum rehydration temperature. All of them range between 95 F to 105F. Most of them closer to 105F. The dried yeast cell wall is fragile and it is the first few minutes (possibly seconds) of rehydration that the warm temperature is critical while it is reconstituting its cell wall structure.

Pretty scary, eh? But true.

Thanx guys super informative thanx for the links I didn't think think their could be much I did wrong it's not rocket science I have a brew partner that wanted to dump my beer thinking it was bad and I needed some reassurance that what was going on was normal...god knows I didn't want to come home to an empty fermentator! Thanx again ...... Cheers!!

Back