Another 2-row thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotbeer

Opinionated Newb
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Besides the taste and color differences created by kilning, what's the big difference between the two types?

Is it just that the 2-row is a larger kernel and mills don't have to be set as close to give a good crush?

Besides the taste and color differences created by kilning, what's the big difference between the two types?

Is it just that the 2-row is a larger kernel and mills don't have to be set as close to give a good crush?

Which two types are we talking about? 2-row vs 6-row? If so, there's some comparisons/contrasts discussed here.

When it comes to the various brands of 2-row it comes down to the maltster. I mostly buy Briess because it costs less than some of the others but I would suggest using a variety of brands until you find the one you like best.

Yes the other type being 6-row.

I think the article linked to homebrewer's assoc. is one that I'd read a couple years ago. I didn't remember all the "might's" that were included in the Pro's for 6-row.

Also that it had more protein content that might contribute to haze and also more polyphenols.

Since I don't care for haze, I might not look any further at 6-row. Unless there are some other convincing arguments for it.

Mainly I'm only concerned about the differences between 2 and 6-row for use as a base malt. Not so much for the small percentages of malts used for color and certain flavors.

It is rather difficult to find 6 row these days. When you do find it, at a homebrew level, the cost is the same or maybe a bit more the 2 row.

There is a difference between maltsters and the different barley they malt. A larger company will usually blend different barley together, sometimes even different year crops.

These days, I personally, prefer to use single variety malted barley. I do like Root Shoot Genie Pilsner and Genie Pale. I use the Weyermann Barke line up. I also like Crisp Chevallier and No 19 Marris Otter.

You might want to have a basic SMASH (Single Malt And Single Hop) recipe to try out the different maltsters to see exactly which of their products you like.

Since I don't care for haze, I might not look any further at 6-row. Unless there are some other convincing arguments for it.
I wouldn't diss it, 6-row has its purpose, alas, it could be marginal in homebrewing.

Per pound 6-row usually has a much higher diastatic power than 2-row, even though it contains more husk material because of the maller kernels. Both the extra husk and higher DP are beneficial for high adjunct mashes. That's one of the main reasons macro breweries use mostly 6-row, along with a slightly grainier flavor/aroma compared to 2-row.

Back