Another 1st brew ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyquest

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Well I might be the most patient newbie that ever hit a brewing pail. My first batch sat in the primary for almost 3 months. I received a promotion and got real busy so I couldn't get to it with in the recommended time to rack.

Anyway...on bottling day the brew smelled cidery. I figured what the hell, might as well bottle it and hope it worked it out in the bottle. To make a long story short I cracked a bottle open after about 3 weeks and she's a low carbonated hazy beer with a hint of the cidery taste.

Should I let it sit longer or cut bait and liquor up the back grass?

BTW it was a Brewers Best AMERICAN AMBER ALE kit.

Thanks for any feedback.

this is a case where it did sit a bit too long on the yeast cake for its own good. not necessarily ruined, but not at its peak either. next time, if possible, rack it to secondary, and it can chill there for some time without any negative effects.

you've already done all the work...let er ride. give it another month, then chill a few for 2-3 days before you open one, and make sure you pour it into a glass, all but the last half ounce.

if it still isn't to your liking, toss it, cook with it, whatever. generally brewer's best kits are pretty decent basic kit brews if you plan to try another.

How long has it been since bottling, and what temp are the bottles at? The off taste may not go away, but unfermented priming sugar definitely leaves a nasty taste. If possible be sure the bottles sit at 70F for the next two weeks or so. 3 months is a long time for a beer to sit on the trub, but since it's not totally nasty by now, it's not ruined.

shafferpilot said:
How long has it been since bottling, and what temp are the bottles at? The off taste may not go away, but unfermented priming sugar definitely leaves a nasty taste. If possible be sure the bottles sit at 70F for the next two weeks or so. 3 months is a long time for a beer to sit on the trub, but since it's not totally nasty by now, it's not ruined.

It's been 3 weeks since I bottled. They've been sitting in the basement at around 65 degrees. I think I blew it by leaving it in the primary to long. Damn the real world. :(

Back