Ann Arbor MI, Bulk Grain Buying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWKBrewing13

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Andrew. I live around the Ann Arbor Area. I am originally from Genesee County. Does anyone know around either two areas how or where to purchase large bulk base malt grain? I am looking at 2 base malts to start. Maris Otter (or golden promise) and American pale malt.

IF anyone has some names and numbers of where to purchase do you have an idea about pricing?

Thank you
Andrew

i have been there a lot. that is still not very cheap at all. I have seen some guys on brewing clubs order a pallet and it ended up coming to .60-.72 cents a pound. Thats a savings.

I emailed bells brewery. I know they do bulk, but I am awaiting on my email reply. Also a place in Ypsi does it but you have to be an actual brewery in order to purchase and the minimum order is 40 50 lbs bags.

There's an lhbs in livonia (45min away) that has 50lb 2 row for 35$. I'd be interested in a specialty grain group buy or a couple lb of hops if we could get a group buy going?
I know 3 homebrewers irl within 5 miles, and commute to ypsi three tines a week. across the forum there should be at least 10-20 members in our area. Hops make the biggest difference it seems but getting caramels at 1/# or chocolate would be great imo for some cheap browns, porters, mild darks, and stouts.

There's an lhbs in livonia (45min away) that has 50lb 2 row for 35$. I'd be interested in a specialty grain group buy or a couple lb of hops if we could get a group buy going?
I know 3 homebrewers irl within 5 miles, and commute to ypsi three tines a week. across the forum there should be at least 10-20 members in our area. Hops make the biggest difference it seems but getting caramels at 1/# or chocolate would be great imo for some cheap browns, porters, mild darks, and stouts.

I'm in Livonia. As of this morning, that shop also had German Pilsner malt (1.2L) for $39.99 for 50 lb.

I find them pretty reasonable on most of their ingredient pricing. Yeast is the one that gives me the most heartburn, but again, they're less expensive than most... I really should start banking...

I'm in Livonia. As of this morning, that shop also had German Pilsner malt (1.2L) for $39.99 for 50 lb.

I find them pretty reasonable on most of their ingredient pricing. Yeast is the one that gives me the most heartburn, but again, they're less expensive than most... I really should start banking...

Good to know. Yeah their grain prices are pretty good. Beats online shops pre shipping cost, unless bought in bulk sacks. Yeast are okay, hops are okay. Brewery in Plymouth gives out yeast slurry if you don't have any on hand and don't want to pay for a new supply, I'm definitely going to start reusing my slurry via Yoopers method.

Would love to do a group buy hops for a couple lb for 1/lb or some specialty if it could get around a buck without taking up too much space. They have it at 1.99 which really isn't that bad considering how little you use for each batch.

@priceless brewing what size batches do you normally brew? Do you do 5g kegs?

I'm in a2 area.

2-5g bottles atm. Moving soon so don't want to start kegging until I pick out a place, or find a reasonably priced 2.5g keg setup.

Liberty street, downtown Plymouth. I've emailed them and asked one of their brewers. They said they don't use more than second generation of yeast so it should always be viable from what I'm aware.

@pricelessbrewing. What's the name of the homebrewstore in Livonia?

Do they have Maris Otter ? Or a good English base malt ?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Find out if your LHBS gives you a AHA discount as well. Mine gives a 10% discount every Tuesday. And at least 2 or 3 times a year, they have 15% discounts based on holidays etc.

2-row is $45 for a 50lb bag, Marris Otter is $55 for a $55 lb bag.

So I bought a bag of each, so 105lbs total for $90. Would be even cheaper on a 15% off day, would have been 105lb total for $85. So I think $0.86 / lb is a great deal, even better on 15% off. Anything under $1 / lb, I think is pretty good personally.

I'm in the Grand Rapids area though, not Ann Arbor.

I am in the Ann Arbor area, and would love to get in on any group buys for grains. If we get enough people interested, it might work out for all of us.

I remember seeing marris otter, but I don't think they have 50lb sack. Bulk prices were 2$/lb with 1 free lb with every 10 purchased.

Anyone else interested in group buy? I can transport between Livonia area, canton, a2, ypsi, wayne, and maybe lansing area if not too far from msu. Any support member willing to start a group buy thread for us?

@pricelessbrewing. What's the name of the homebrewstore in Livonia?

Do they have Maris Otter ? Or a good English base malt ?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The shop in Livonia is Wine Barrel Plus on Plymouth Rd. They usually have Maris Otter, US 2-row and 6-row, and German Pils (at a minimum) for base malts. Pretty good selection of specialty malts too. I generally prefer them to my next closest shop(s), but like anything, there are things they're good for and things they're not.

Back